Author Topic: 1953 LeMans  (Read 297 times)

Offline South_paw

1953 LeMans
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
I finally got my first look at the 1953 LeMans and tried my best to get a look at how it was built. For starters it was a very well built fiberglas body. No sign of bonding strips or stress cracking.

Offline South_paw

Re: 1953 LeMans
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
We were fortunate to have a '54 convertible park right next to it. One could really see the differences in height & length 

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
As I was looking at the car some threatening skies forced the caretaker of the car to raise the top. To my surprise and honor, I was asked to assist in putting the top up. It was mentioned that this was only the second time in 40 years the top has been put up! Have a rare look at the LeMans with the top up and an even rarer look at the top frame and connection points.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
This is when the caretaker got nervous.  ;D  I started laying on the floor and getting a look under the car.  It had a standard gas tank and rear axle on leaf springs. Standard front suspension and what looked like a standard transmission setup. Here is what I found that was different. The chassis rails are square and boxed. I think they did this to lower the body because on a standard 53 the chassis rails are rectangular in shape. The other difference was the exhaust had a by-pass right where the header meets the exhaust pipe. Hopefully you can see this in the pic. Also once I seen this by-pass I immediately thought about the news article which described how they would race these LeMans cars on a closed track at full speed. I would bet the by-pass was opened up on the track.   Article attached as well.   

Offline Sevillian

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:57 PM »
The caretaker of that car (and the supercharged '53 Eldo next to it) was very nice.  She happily lowered the hood of the Eldo so I could get a pic. 
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
CLC #3830