Author Topic: Alternator conversion  (Read 1130 times)

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Alternator conversion
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
Look on line for a one wire gm alt  I cant remember where I got mine maybe Rock Auto but inexpensive and easy hookup
Eugene, the thing I dont like about the 1 wire hook up is  you no longer have the tell tale gen light the need to give the throttle a slight  blip to kick in the charging
but they are easy to hook up
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
Hello bluecat It seems that you have purchased aftermarket regulators from your description .Buying a gm delco regulator would have solved your problem.Also you will have to know what amperage your gen/ is 30 65 0r 70 as 61-62 cadillacs had all 3 depending on options . if the regulator is not for the correct amps to fit the gen that will lead to some of the problems you are describing . A 30 amp reg/ will not stand up to a 6o amp gen/.If  your car has factory air it will have the larger amp gen.Iwould search the internet for the correct delco reg or a supplyer that would carry or can order one. Also if there is a wireing problem with your car installing an alt/ will not solve it .Be sure to check your wireing  for a short or fraying or an accessory going bad before making any changes this could save you a lot of money a head of time.If at hat time you still prefer an alt/ you will need a 2 wire as a 1 wire will not work the gen light on the dash.Be carefull as some alt/ use exsternal reg/ and some are internal . Make sure you know witch one you get,Anote check to see if your gen/ has the correct anps for your car .It could be someone at one time did not replace it with the correct one.

Offline bluecat64

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
Thank you guys for al your help. I agree with 62droptop. I want the tell tale to work. Your comment is most likely what is going on, Rare Eldorado. Here in the Netherlands it is much different than in the states. There are some USA car parts suppliers, but most of the stuff is not original and most likely the cheapest alternatives there are on the market. It is very likely the regulator won't fit to the generator, but it was, most likely, the cheapest available. I have no idea if the generator has the correct amps. There's no number or indication on it. My 1962 Coupe DeVille is an airco type. I still think I want the alternator conversion because I read similar problems on the internet and an alternator seems to be the best solution for charging without problems. 3 USA car part suppliers offered me a solution but it's still hard to understand how those types fit into my car. I need to know a little more about that "flipping the bracket", how that's done. Still looking for a guy who did the job, has a few great detailed pictures and a part number, to be sure I won't spend money on a useless generator. I have to admit I'm not an experienced car mechanic, it's just a hobby for me and I have low car repair skills. But all your help, helps me to understand what's going on and I hope someone will give me the info I need to get this done.

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
Ummm.  61/62 Cadillacs only had two generator/voltage regulator combinations - 35 amp for non-ac cars and 45 amp for a/c cars.  Not sure where the 30/60/70 is coming from.

As far as flipping the bracket goes, we're referring to the bracket that the generator attaches to on the exhaust manifold.  Remove the two nuts securing the bracket to the manifold and rotate the bracket 180 degrees and reinstall.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:07:31 PM by Dan LeBlanc »
1970 deVille Convertible
1977 Continental Town Car

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Hello Dan you are correct in the gen ratings .However I have  restored a few limos and had generators with 75 amp ratings stamped into the housing ,,have not found if this was a factory option or dealer installed ,,As I have done 4 limos with these gen in them,checked them for out put with the car running and amps were correct .Ialso have a 62 Eldorado that has a 65 amp gen[ car has factory air]  and restored a 61 Eldorado  for a customer that had a 65 amp gen .Ido not know if these were dealer installed or factory option ,Will have to do more research on how this many cars had these high amp units .The devilles I have done wo air  did have the 35 amp gens. however there were only 2.

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »
Likely swapped out along the way.  The attached is from the factory data book . . . 35 and 45 amp only.  Series 75, regardless of a/c or not got the 45 amp along with all a/c cars.  The rest were 35 amp.

What you see were likely replacements along the way as it was highly doubtful that someone purchasing a new Cadillac in 1961 or 1962 would say "hmmm, I think we should upgrade the charging system."  Most of these people never even knew how to open the hood to check their own oil.  You were really the upper crust in those days if you drove a Cadillac.
1970 deVille Convertible
1977 Continental Town Car