Author Topic: 1955 A/C evaporator rear seat flooring grille location  (Read 271 times)

Offline walt c

1955 A/C evaporator rear seat flooring grille location
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Hi Guys!
  Many thanks for Lou and other CLC members for aid when needed! I just purchased a pair of A/C grills for my CDV and am puzzled as to their proper location. The grills cover the "mouse hole" just below the lower seat bottom along the floor area. I'll  attach a pic of the grills and a pic of my mouse hole. When I purchased my car  20yrs ago they wern't installed so I didn't even know they were part of the equation until Art Gardner brought them to light for me! (bought a pair of them for $15 on Ebay,thanks Art)....I would appreciate anyone who can shoot me a pic of their location....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: 1955 A/C evaporator rear seat flooring grille location
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
Walt,

This is from my '56 I would guess the same location would apply to the '55.

When you remove the rear seat you will notice the opening for the vents around the seat frame and the mounting screw holes.

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline walt c

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »
jose,
  Ah-huh! My "mouse hole" is thru the floor cross stiffener (I wondered why it was so much smaller then the grilles) and thanks to your pic I see the grilles actually attach to the seat! Sure am glad I asked the forum for the correct location.My car was pretty much a basket case (but fairly complete) and this is typical of some of the questions that I've encountered putting it back together.....thank you!...thank you!...thank you!...walt...tulsa,ok

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi Walt,
             Here’s a couple pictures from my 55 Fleetwood.
Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline walt c

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
Bob and Jose,
  Today I pulled my rear seat (1955CDV) in preparation of installation of my A/C return grilles and frankly, something is not right! I noticed that jose's rear seat bottom is curved on it's bottom to fit around the driveshaft tunnel. Mine is flat. Jose's grille is installed in the seat bottom, and I assume he has some type of seat frame mount for it. Mine does not. My CDV has a body support running across along the floor (the seat bottom is flat) and it does have mouse holes in it, but their no where near the size for a grille. I'm attaching a few pics in an attempt to explain my circumstance regarding these grilles.....any help or thoughts would be appreciated.....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline Agent86

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
I have had several 54-56 models with air conditioning and each had the return air grilles in the front face of the seat bottom.  The grilles are attached with screws.  The screws go into little clips that wrap around the springs or metal innards of the seat bottom (the clips look like little strips of metal wrapped around the wire springs or rods).  The front face of the seat fabric is simply slitted open to make the rectangular hole and a bit of the excess trimmed away. 

The trickier thing, IMO, is to replicate the plywood board that goes behind the upper part of the rear seat and separates the passenger compartment from the trunk.  I believe that on the non-A/C cars the board covers the entire opening.  On the A/C cars, the board either has holes drilled in it or doesn't completely cover the entire opening (I forget which it is).  It allows air to be drawn in through the small chrome vents that Walt is wrestling with now and into the trunk to be drawn into the evaporator unit.  So can someone post a picture of the plywood board for an A/C car?  I can't do it, because my 55 FW is not an A/C car...
Art Gardner

Offline walt c

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
Art,as always, thanks for the heads up! Wonder what your (or any other CLC member) thoughts are on my mouse holes? Their factory perfect holes on both sides of the "stiffener).....just wondering.....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline South_paw

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 04:42:35 PM »
Walt,

The mouse holes are found on all of the cross braces, A/C or no A/C.  Here is something from the 1956 serviceman bulletin. This was over on the modified Cadillac website.

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***