Author Topic: Repaint coming soon  (Read 754 times)

Offline RobertM

Repaint coming soon
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
OK, the Sixty Special is definitely going in for some bodywork and a full repaint this year.  Maybe even within a couple weeks.  The choice of the final color has been on my mind for years. It's decision time. My car is currently a light blue.  I know it's a repaint, but I am not even sure if it's a Cadillac color. Up close, the paint is shot. It was a not-so-good paint job probably in the '80s and it's now well beyond its time (picture 1).

The original color is Newport Blue. (Art's 54 Sixty Special is picture 2). A nice color, but I'm concerned that of the few "Newport Blue" cars I've seen, a couple I like and a couple not so much.  I'm afraid the blend will end up being the not-so-much variety.  That would be incredibly disappointing.

I am really really digging the 54 color Cobalt Blue. (picture 3). The dilemma is that I've always been the type to say "keep it original". A color change goes against my grain, but the compromise would be at least it's a color that was available in '54. And it will match the blue V-crest upholstery.

Thinking out loud here, but more than willing to listen to opinions and pros/cons.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Lexi

Re: Repaint coming soon
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
Robert like you I am a purist, but I can totally understand your dilemma. Even stodgy old me would consider a change in color especially if you plan on keeping the car. It is not like it could not be undone. I think changes that make the vehicle difficult if not impossible to put back to original are not recommended, in my opinion. You are the one that has to live with the car so why not be happy with it? After all you would not be ruining it! It could always be re-painted.

Also, I have 2 comments about cobalt blue. My '56 Caddy is that color, which I always liked, though my first choice was black as my car is the Imperial Limo. Now that I have lived with "Lexi" for a few years, I may actually prefer the cobalt. It is kinda like getting 2 colors for the price of one. During the day it looks black unless in strong sunlight or parked next to a black vehicle for contrast. At night it looks black. So it is the classy chameleon of colors, at least for that era.

Point #2 is that this color does well in hiding certain imperfections as the paint ages. Yes, a dark color is said to be tough to keep clean, BUT they also hide certain imperfections way better than say a lighter color. Most of us clean our cars like crazy so the general dirt which is more readily visible is rarely if ever there to be seen! So this color I believe shows better especially with age. The down side are missed spots following a re-paint in tough zones like the door hinge areas, and seeing your lighter shade of blue showing-or elsewhere. Could be more costly to change the color if done right as well, but should you opt for a color change I hope I speak for all by adding that you are still in "our good books"!!! Do keep us posted. Clay/Lexi

Attachments: Photo one showing dark blue cobalt during day, photo 2 showing more of a black color at night
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:27:20 PM by Lexi »

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
Cobolt Blue for the win. It suits the length of the 60S well. 
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Agent86

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
Cobolt Blue for the win. It suits the length of the 60S well.

Bob,
Yup.  Cobalt Blue.  Just be sure to get the metallic flake right. You want it to look like 1954 paint, not 2014 paint.  Way too many cars get this part wrong.  Ask SouthPaw, he knows...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:29:13 AM by Agent86 »
Art Gardner

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
I had two paint shops try to argue with me that they did not make factory metallic paint in 61.  Obviously I did not buy from them.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline RobertM

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:50 PM »
Including the comments here, a couple car guys I'm friends with, and my kids, I think the vote is 10-0 for Cobalt Blue.

I'm done overthinking this, now I'm on to overthinking about which shop I'm going to use. That's a whole different topic.

Lou, do you have references for paint codes/formula and the correct metal flake?
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
I had two paint shops try to argue with me that they did not make factory metallic paint in 61.  Obviously I did not buy from them.

I can find references to metallic Cadillac colors as far back as 1950.  I don't know the makeup of the "iridescent" colors of the '40s.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline South_paw

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
Including the comments here, a couple car guys I'm friends with, and my kids, I think the vote is 10-0 for Cobalt Blue.

I'm done overthinking this, now I'm on to overthinking about which shop I'm going to use. That's a whole different topic.

Lou, do you have references for paint codes/formula and the correct metal flake?

If the shop mixes their own paint(most do). Tell him when he finds the correct formula to substitute the flake in the formula for the finest flake available on their mixing bank. **** make sure you have the color sprayed out on a sample card for your final approval***
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Agent86

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
Lou, with Cobalt Blue, does Bob need to worry about insisting that they spray it all out together, with the various parts hung in the same position as on the car?  As you know, many colors will end up looking like 2 or 3 different shades once on the car if they paint different parts at different times or if they hang horizontal parts vertically to spray them.  I am helping a guy with a 49 Cad cvtbl right now that was restored with a high-end paint job and it is at least three different shades...
Art Gardner

Offline South_paw

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
Yes everything should be painted with the parts in the same position as the car.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz