Author Topic: Pesky Transmission Leak  (Read 356 times)

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

Pesky Transmission Leak
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
For about nine years I have been chasing a transmission leak on my 1955 Fleetwood. Replaced the tail shaft seal first time with screwdrivers and hammer what a pain. It still leaked. I thought the seal was bad or I messed it up on the install. The second time I went to replace the tailstock seal I had the dimensions to build the GM removal tool. Luckily for me my son is a teacher at a technical high school so it was a assignment for one of the students it turned out perfect and worked even better no more prying with screwdrivers. After replacing the second seal it still leaked. I then thought it was the seals I was getting so I ordered one from Fatsco since they deal with transmissions for a living. I also noticed that the leak was being sprayed on the bottom of the car not good. I needed to address this issue since I replaced my exhaust to the original length mufflers and it might spray onto them. I looked at the yoke on the driveshaft and the leak was always at the end of the u-joints hmm. Removed the driveshaft and poured some transmission fluid down the yoke. After a day it started leaking out of the center of the yoke (see pictures). I had a extra yoke and put some transmission fluid down it no leak in over a week. Replaced the yoke installed the driveshaft ran the Cadillac out of the garage and back in. There is to much salt on the roads to take Annie for a ride. So far it's been about three weeks no leak. Hope this helps someone else down the line to find there pesky transmission leak.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline South_paw

Re: Pesky Transmission Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »
I would never expect a leak from there. Nice catch. Hows the new exhaust ?
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:45:41 AM »
I suppose the problem we have with our cars is that they can develop faults that never came to light back when they were everyday use cars. But 60+ years later these sort of problems appear. Phil

Offline Lexi

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »
Great work Bob! Its always rewarding to solve a chronic problem, especially when we do it ourselves. Nice job! Clay
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:58:43 AM by Lexi »

Offline novetti

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 08:30:10 PM »
I had a leak from that exactly same place in my 58 Skyliner.

What I did I sandblasted the yoke in that area and then glued that yoke plug perimeter with permatex.

No leaks in four years now.

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will try the permatex on the original one. I wonder how the shaft and yoke are joined? I looked in the Master parts book the only thing I found was for a series 75 which showed a pin and a seal.

Regards,
Bob K
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie