Author Topic: Odd question: non Cadillac related but I need your help  (Read 798 times)

Offline FINCADI

Re: Odd question: non Cadillac related but I need your help
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:39 PM »
Wow, that is like asking a room full of fathers whose daughter is the prettiest.  We have a beautiful country and every state has its own beauty. I am from Kansas which most people would put at the bottom of their places to visit list, but I love the lush green Flint Hills in the spring and summer and the wide open wheat fields that drop off into the horizon.  I would agree with the reference to travel Route 66.  It not only holds historical significance but it takes you through eight beautiful states (Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California) where the scenery varies from flat open prairies, to mountains, to desert to the Pacific coast. A no disappointment trip.     

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:04:33 AM »
Here's my two cents on this.  It somewhat depends upon what part of the summer you're coming for.  If it's early, you'll want to start with Texas and the Grand Nationals in June.  The site is right between Austin and San Antonio and it's a great time of year to be there and there's so much to see and do.  Next, I'd work my way up I 35 to Kansas City and St. Louis.  In St. Louis alone I've spent many days looking at car collections within a 10 mile radius of the city.  Next go on up to Clear Lake in Iowa...great car show there in the summer and next move on up to Minneapolis for what's touted to be the biggest and oldest  car show in the U.S. and maybe the world. It's called Back to the 50's.  It's June 22-24 this year and it's at the state fair grounds.  You'll need at least 2 days for that one and the weather and food are great.  I'd move to the northeast and hit Detroit after that.  All of that puts you right in the heartland of America.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 02:55:01 AM »
Thank you guys so much for all the tips and information already. (I've written them all down) We are planning to stay the whole month of august and route 66 was already on our bucketlist. Since I'm coming over with my family I have to find interesting stuff for everybody. I would love to go to only carshows and scrapeyards but I can imagine that my wife has a different kind of holiday in her mind ;-)

We are now thinking of traveling around in California, a piece of route 66, also spend a few days at the beach where my sons hopefully can surf somewhere. I also have a big interest in native Americans. I've heared that there a so called 'pow wow' meetings. Are those interesting and do these take place in California? And is verybody wellcome there?

Offline Sevillian

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 03:38:10 AM »
How much time do you plan here, and do you already have any “must see” places in mind? If you have 2 weeks, and you want to see New York City and Washington DC, you will not have time to do a drive down the west coast!  I’m in Northern California and can attest that the west coast is incredibly beautiful, and the cities (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, San Diego are fascinating and unique).  But the Rocky Mountain West is also spectacular, with incredible national parks like Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain, Bryce, Zion, and the Grand Canyon. But unless you are going to spend 6 weeks or so here, you can’t “do it all” - you are going to have to make some compromises, especially if you plan on driving rather than flying once you are here.
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
CLC #3830

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:46 PM »
Hi all.

The plan is to arrive in San Francsico on july 23th, than hire a RV for a week and travel through Yosimite, Death Vally to Las Vegas (visit Welder up garage) and stay a few days there. Then we go to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, go to Moab and then to Monument Valley. Afterwards we plan to visit Grand Canyon and drive a part of Route 66 to Kingman and than stay a few day on the beach in LA.
Does this sound realistic to do all this in 3,5 weeks? And is there anything classic related stuff, like grages or meetings to go to in this journey?

Offline 62 driver

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
Sounds like a plan I been wanting to do for the past 20 years!  And I live in SoCal! Sounds wonderful. Good plan.

Offline Peter.1961

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
I live in Los Angeles - let me know if you want to meet up and grab a coffee or a beer.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your kind offer. We have a busy schedule but if there's room, I'll contact you!
Best regards

Marcel

Offline Sevillian

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 02:01:08 AM »
I'm just outside of San Francisco, and would be happy to provide advice/answer any questions you might have about this area.  Some unsolicited advice about SF; do not waste your time going to Pier 39.  It is a tourist trap with overpriced parking, particularly given the high rate of car break ins in the area.  Instead, if you have time, go see the real City; walk through the Castro, go to Golden Gate Park and check out the Academy of Sciences and/or the deYoung Museum, or take a tour of City Hall (lots of history and some spectacular architecture).  Given your itinerary, two automotive "must sees" are the Petersen Museum in LA, and the Auto Collections at the Linq Hotel in Las Vegas.  And one non-automotive must see is to go to a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas.  "O" is spectacular, and "Love" is a must unless you can affirmatively state that you do not care for the Beatles.
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
CLC #3830

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
I live in Los Angeles - let me know if you want to meet up and grab a coffee or a beer.

you must make time for a meet up with Peter!
I met up with him last sunday
he is an awesome guy with a really sweet 61 convertible  that he actually drives the wheels off!
as Peter drove off into the sunset ,he did a u turn with those wide whitewalls tires smoking and squealing off into the distance!
thanks again Peter, sorry we didn't get a chance for dinner
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)