Author Topic: 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood New Exhaust  (Read 467 times)

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

1955 Cadillac Fleetwood New Exhaust
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Here are some pictures of the old exhaust. Every joint and hanger was welded to the system. Had fun with the saws all.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:58:08 PM by Caddy Daddy 55 »
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

Re: 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood New Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:26:06 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

First I would like to thank everyone for there input on getting this project completed. Thanks to Lou on the recommendation of Waldrons great company just long lead time about 8 weeks and also tips on the install. Thanks to Ken on how to get the flex tubing on as you can see in the picture with the 2x4 and sludge hammer in the end of the pipe. The only way I could get the flex pipe over the drivers side was to make slits in the tubing to make the bend but itís hardly noticeable. I also installed the bracket from the bell housing to the drivers side exhaust pipe you can see it in the picture.The wife and I took dB readings while driving so after the salt is off the roads we will see what the results are.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:52:57 PM by Caddy Daddy 55 »
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
Wow, I can heard the difference in the two videos. You will really notice the difference when you drive it.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
Looks great.  I just put a Waldron's system on my 62 Eldorado and it's so much better than before.  You might use some POR 15 silver or manifold gray to paint those welds and I'd use stainless clamps.
Take care.  Hope to see you (and not hear you) at GN in June.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.

Offline walt c

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
Bob,
  Thanks for taking the time to make the vids! My "exhaust" story is exhausting.(my 55 coupe is a driver) I started with all stainless steel tubing (every bend mandrel bent),stainless mufflers,everything completely tig welded (such beauty!),EVERY clamp stainless! (welded in such a manner that the whole system can be broken down and removed without any cutting) Problem was, it was loud. So, I added stainless resonators......nah....so I welded an AWESOME crossover tube with flanges should I want to remove the transmission. GREAT addition, but I didn't notice any noise reduction so then I even added another set of stainless mufflers just to finally make the exhaust sound presentable. (and, did I mention I spent 5days installing interior floor insulation AND wrapped my beautiful stainless mufflers and tubing with exhaust wrap) OK, I'll admit my tubing size was 2 1/8 ID so that may have played into the equation. (may not have)
  You, my friend was fortunate to have Lou's advice.....wish I had someone "ahead" of me.....the whole project was "exhausting"...walt...tulsa,ok

Offline walt c

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
Guys,
   To expand even further on basic exhaust systems, another CLC member once commented that tubing wall thickness plays a big part in sound. (my stainless is thin wall) I suppose if a guy followed the factory engineers design to a "T" he'd be good and couldn't go wrong.....you'd think I would have known that by now since I turned 70 last August.....sad....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
Interesting Walt never thought of measuring the thickness of my new exhaust. Iím sure that Waldrons would know I might reach out to them and ask.
 On another note we got 3 more inches of snow last night so along with that goes more salt on the roads. :( Will probably have to wait a couple more weeks for my road test hopefully it will be quieter in the cab. :)

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:08:39 AM by Caddy Daddy 55 »
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie