Author Topic: Removing trim  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Sevillian

Re: Removing trim
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 01:15:39 AM »
There are places like King of Trim in SoCal that will refinish and repair trim, including repairing broken-off studs.
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
CLC #3830

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »
Hello Bob,
                 On my 55 I did not have to remove windows I removed the rubber bumper stop inside the door panel I might also disconnect the window from the lift mechanism. That gave me enough room to remove the trim. Is the script held on by speed nuts or those flat pain in the butt spring steel. Either way I have found this product the best for remove stuck fasteners itís Aerokroil. I know you are on a time frame so maybe a squirt of some penetrating oil might help. Have fun.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline RobertM

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
It's the flat ones. I decided to leave them on and let the pros break the pins instead of me.

She's just about naked now. I left the windshield reveal molding and those Cadillac scripts. 

Here's a silly question.. how do I know what's stainless and what's chrome? I'm tempted to bring it all to the chrome shop and have him tell me which is which.

With the door panels and seats out, seems like a good time to get those spruced up too.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 02:38:59 AM »
Usually the front fender moldings are chromed steel. A magnet is not the best way to differentiate them because the stainless used in automotive industry is attracted by a magnet. However, the back side has a different aspect than chromed parts, so you may se the diference.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Anyone have a picture of a 54 front door without the door panel on?  Trying to organize nut and bolts and I must have mislabeled something.  Silly me, I made a ton of diagrams but didn't take any pictures
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Online Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 07:25:14 PM »
There are never enough pictures. I have thousands for my 61 and still not enough. And the door mechanism is impossible to photograph properly
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline RobertM

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
I just found I have a couple extra screws and cant quite figure where they came from lol.  My diagrams are really meticulous and pictures didn't seem to be the way to go (at the time) since there were screws etc going together from so many different angles.

If I was going to be putting it back together myself, I'd be really confident to get it right. But..I'm handing all this off to the shop doing the paint, and want to give my notes to them 100% complete.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:56 PM »
The current state of my living room while I sort things out.  If I were married, I'd be in some serious hot water!
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline South_paw

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
Bob,

You may want to bring the stainless trim with you to the plater. Cadillac did plate all of the stainless with a process called flash chrome. Basically all that means is the bare stainless received the chromium plating only. No copper or nickel. The reason for this is because when bare polished stainless is next to chrome it doesn't match in color. Polished stainless appears yellowish when it's next to chrome.

You can polish your stainless trim but keep in mind if you break through the flash chrome, you will notice the difference.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline RobertM

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
Chrome is going to be a huge percentage of my overall budget. I finally have everything off and all of the chrome is at the platers. I gave him exactly 50 pieces of chrome in all. Studs on 8 of the 16 Fleetwood nash marks need to be repaired. 

I did bring the stainless with me, but I think I would rather give it a go myself than pay another $2500 to have the shop do 25 or so pieces.  There's also the 20 or so grill slats that I didn't bring, so we are talking 100 pieces of brightwork in all!  The shop told me since it's all in good shape to start with, if I stick with the white rouge I'll be fine.   Except for the rocker pieces that is. Those are going to take some work.

There are a couple good threads here about doing stainless but if anyone has any other tips, it would be much appreciated.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado