Author Topic: Longevity  (Read 204 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Longevity
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
So I am young enough that it is likely I will still be around when my car hits 100 years old. I might not own it then but I might.
Now an internal combustion engine or one that is not self driving may be illegal at that time.
But letís say it is not and I can still be driven around in this car.

What regular maintenance parts should I buy and hold onto for the next 45 years.
What might not be available. I assume some of these parts shops now will not be around then

Engine Gaskets
Carb rebuild kit
Trans rebuild kit
Bearings

I assume most rubber components would not last that long even in original packaging

What are your thoughts.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Cattle Axe

Re: Longevity
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
get it running first. Then start hoarding parts.
1961 Series 62 Convertible
1962 Coupe Deville

"I got my self a cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline" (AC/DC down payment blues)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »
Just trying to start a conversation
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
Good topic Carl......One of my Cadillacs is a 1929 Roadster.....the car is pushing 90 !

So even at 90, you still can find somebody to replace parts or rebuild what you have.........It take a little longer to find the right guy but they are and probably will be out there.

I say keep the car complete and in good working order and then cross that bridge when it comes............fingers crossed I'll be driving this car when she turns 120 yrs old!

But, needless to say she'll be around long after I'm gone.

Mike

Offline russ austin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:07:16 AM »
Hoarding gas for the future sounds crazy, but if the Left has their way, we will not be driving gas powered cars in the future.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
Must be a collector car guy thing as I have thought the same thing about hoarding parts for future use. That is probably optimistic as I too envision the day coming when we will no longer be allowed to drive them. That will be a very, very sad day.

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
We're all pretty good with our tool boxes.........If the combustion engine is banned we'll figure a way to put in some kind of electric powered / flux capacitor engine in ours car and continue on down the road.

The wind tunnel designed cars on the road today can't hold a candle to our cars.

Mike

Offline 6262

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:26:27 PM »
Great topic, Carl!

I have considered this often. But I think there is nothing to worry. The advance of technology will make small scale manufacturing much easier. I expect better reproduction parts in a wider variety for the future, not less. For example, this forum and the internet in general are a huge help already. I look with horror at the fact how difficult it was to maintain an old American car in the 1980s over here in Europe.

I think vehicles with human drivers will be banned within forty years or so but this is another thing that does not worry me. Why? Well, a hundred year ago the horse was phased out as a means of transportation. You could not ride to work anymore. The city of Berlin banned horse-driven cabs in the 1920s, for example.
But the horse (as a hobby) did not disappear although many expected it. Quite the opposite. It is a huge industry today. In 2061 you will load your car on your autonomously driving trailer to an event where it is allowed to cruise on a fenced off road courses. It will be a huge spectacle in a scenic area that generates cash for the local municipality.

Maybe they will ban the production of vehicles that run with gas some day. But they would only do that if there is another reliable technology ready for the mass market. I doubt this will affect vintage vehicles. Simply due to their small numbers (at that time) and their strong political lobby (already present). Here in Europe even today vintage vehicles can enter cities which ban some newer cars (30 years and younger) from entering. There are tax and inspections exemptions. I have absolutely nothing to complain politically (concerning the vintage car hobby) although the left hates and fights motor cars - but not vintage vehicles.

I would only hoard original parts. These will get scarce eventually.

Offline Hotrodln

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
I'd hoard a complete engine rebuild kit- pistons 20 over, crank 10 under. new water pump, belts. set of shocks, weatherstripping...who knows if any of this stuff will still be available in 50 years.
HOTRODLN AKA Pat Prendergast

Offline russ austin

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »
I have an original water pump for 25.00 if anyone wants it. Needs to be rebuilt.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA