Author Topic: 1954 Caddy ride not that smooth  (Read 255 times)

Offline 62caddyguy

1954 Caddy ride not that smooth
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
Hello guys. I have a nice 1954 Cadillac coupe de ville and I love the car. However i do not like the ride I get with it. Seems to be rough not smooth. Running Coker reproduction
820 x15 firestone gum dipped tires. These are bias. I have no vibrations and the car runs straight. Have some tire where as these are over 8 year old tires. Will radials work better and are there radials that look like bias.  Maybe shocks would help? Any help would be appreciated on this. Also may change tire to 800 x 15.

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: 1954 Caddy ride not that smooth
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
What is the condition of your shocks and springs.

Modern gas charged shocks will ride a little stiffer then original hydrolic shocks. Gas charged have a small spring rate they add where hydrolic do not.

If you have replacement springs you must ensure they used the correct spring rates to make your spring. If you bought them from an off the shelf company they often sell the “heavy duty” stiffer springs as replacements

I prefer coil spring specialties for replacement springs. They will help find the correct spring for your model and options. Often cars with AC had a different spring then cars without.

It is near impossible to find correct hydrolic shocks.

I am told bias are prone to wander. But I have not heard about stuff ride.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62caddyguy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
The springs seem to be ok. Car stance is fine. Really do not know much about the shocks were on the car when I bought them. I may need to replace. Car has 75,000 milke on it and I believe it to be original.  I had the engine rebuilt last year along with the Hydromatic rebuilt also. How do yu know if springs are bad?

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
No real way to know. The math for spring rate is called the K rate. And the same hieght spring can have different spring rates.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
What is the air pressure in the tires? If they are at 32psi that is way to high. They need to be around 24-26psi.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline 62caddyguy

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
Ok I will check both the shocks and waht kind I have on the car and also the PSI of the tires.