Author Topic: Dash Chrome  (Read 169 times)

Online Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Dash Chrome
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
@Perk2 do you know if your dash chrome was ever replated or is it just in very good condition.
The pictures might not show all the age of your dash pieces.

I ask because the chrome fins on all three of my dashes show pitting.  They are small but they are very noticeable because of the straight lines.  I do not know how successfully this piece can be replated.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Perk2

Re: Dash Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Hi Carl,
The only dash pieces that were re chromed were the radio plate and the finned speaker piece, shown in the photo.
In hindsight, the radio plate should never have been replated back in 1994, it should have been repainted original to match around the speedo, which was stripped off so that it could all be flashy chrome...that was Dad's idea then!

I have since repainted the radio plate and around the speedo for the correct look.
The black in the finned piece was removed in the chrome process and never restored, until I did it last fall along with the rest of the dash, which I outlined in an earlier post. All of the chrome is in good shape, no pitting on the remaining pieces, as you can see the black paint around the "Cadillac" has not been redone, didn't want to mess with that.

There was slight pitting even after the chrome, but not much...I found that all paint dried too fast to paint then wipe off the chrome...I ended up painting, drying, then scraping off with fresh exacto blades with flat face

I hope that answers your question.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Online Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Dash Chrome
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
Helps a lot. Thank you.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering