Author Topic: Changing upper ball joint  (Read 498 times)

Offline Ramses

Changing upper ball joint
« on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
Hi all!

i want to install my new upper ball joint on my 1962, but the one i received dont look identical at the one i have on the control arm..

picture 1 & 2: look at the size of the shaft, the new one is smaller than the old one

Picture 3: The new ball joint have a metal plate at the bottom but the old one on the arm dont have that,,

i dont figure out how to use that, maybe i have received a wrong upper joint? or maybe someone can help me to figure how to install that?

thanks for your help :)
You can not count the time spent on a car, because it's a therapy!

To see my actual project: www.cadillac1962.com

Offline Cattle Axe

Re: Changing upper ball joint
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
The difference in the shaft size is the concentric cam the is on the old one . It needs to be taken off and put on the new one. This is used to align the front end.

There is a left and right upper ball joint. That one in the picture looks like one of them. Do you have a service Manuel?
1961 Series 62 Convertible
1962 Coupe Deville

"I got my self a cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline" (AC/DC down payment blues)

Offline Ramses

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
thanks for your answer..

Yes i have a manual,

So ok, i can try to remove the shaft and put it on the new joint.. that make sense.. (i have look at my manual and picture fig.4-8 show that)

Actualy in the manual, they talk about replacing the seal on the upper ball joint (fig 4-27) but they dont explain how to replace the joint itself... And i dont figure out what to do with the metal plate (picture 3 on my first post) maybe i have to remove that plate and dont use it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:27:36 AM by Ramses »

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »
the  new upper ball joint you have is not for a 62 caddy.the cam is not removable . the new ball joint will look exactly like the one you have in your car.the cam and adjusting nut are one piece and part of the whole joint.it has to be solid as to make an alighnment corrections.

Offline Ramses

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »
the  new upper ball joint you have is not for a 62 caddy.the cam is not removable . the new ball joint will look exactly like the one you have in your car.the cam and adjusting nut are one piece and part of the whole joint.it has to be solid as to make an alighnment corrections.

ok, but when i do a search on EBAY, for "1962 cadillac upper joint", all the joint that i see are exactly like the new one i have.. there is no other upper joint ...

Offline Ramses

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »
after looking at the manual i realized that the size of the shaft is the same, the difference is because my old one have a part called "camber exentric" over the shaft.. (manual figure 4-8, 4-9, 4-10) so i do not have to replace the shaft itself, juste the part over it..

But that dosent fix the problem of the metal part at the bottom

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
pics

The old one actually welded on  You will need to cut the weld.
The new one clamps into the hole.  That ring is a threaded lock collar.
They are different right to left.  look for that under the rubber boot.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Ramses

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
Thanks a lot Clewisii!

Your picture is exactly what i need! Your explication are very clear, extremely useful.. i will now be able to install that!!

PS: You frame look very beautiful, you have done a very nice job on it!

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »
Thank you for the compliment and good luck.   

I am having a lot of fun on all of these steps and I love it when I can help others in some way.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »
Getting the camber eccentric off can be a real pain. I tried it with a puller and promptly broke the jar of my trusty snap on puller.

I ended up using a 10 ton press (supporting the bottom of the eccentric and pushing down on the shaft) - and needed more than 5 tons to pop it off.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti