Author Topic: Color of heater plenum/case  (Read 220 times)

Offline FINCADI

Color of heater plenum/case
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »
I recently was informed that the color of the metal case (plenum?) located under the dash on the passenger side on my car should be painted black and not the green that it is.  Before I remove and re-paint this part I want to make sure that this is correct on all models.  My 1961 interior is 100% original with the exception of the carpet being replaced last year. I find it hard to believe that a former owner would have painted this one part from black to green (it shows some normal nicks and scratches from age) especially since it looks like it was done at the factory.  There is a black plastic/fiberglass vent that runs along the front of this metal case where the chrome floor vent attaches, but I am referring to the metal case behind/below that black plastic vent.  I have attached a couple of photos of my car and what I am referring to.  Is anyone else's color-keyed to match their interior or is everyone's black?  Thanks, Doug
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:57:36 AM by FINCADI »

Offline 6262

Re: Color of heater plenum/case
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:08:32 AM »
It is color-keyed, not black except on black interiors. The information that you were given is incorrect.

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:43:10 AM »
My blue interior part is painted blue but it does not match anything. It is darker then the carpet and my decorative metal is more a teal blue.

To me it seems it was just a generic industrial color.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Perk2

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
My interior heater box is Sandalwood in color to closely match my interior color...Whomever told you all were black I believe is incorrect.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I was pretty sure mine was correct and knew you guys would be able to confirm.  I will leave it as is and hope I don't get points taken off next time it is judged for being incorrect when it is correct.

Offline series75

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 06:48:36 AM »
Must have been an "expert" maybe even a judge at a national meet.  These are the same guys that drive me nuts when they see a 1965 Series 75 and say with all their expertise..."no that's a 1964".   The 61 and 62 brochure specifically point out the harmony in color of the dash items.   Enjoyed meeting you in San Marcos.   Tp

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
Must have been an "expert" maybe even a judge at a national meet.  These are the same guys that drive me nuts when they see a 1965 Series 75 and say with all their expertise..."no that's a 1964".   The 61 and 62 brochure specifically point out the harmony in color of the dash items.   Enjoyed meeting you in San Marcos.   Tp

I won't say what show it was that the points were deducted as it really doesn't matter and the judges were very professional, knowledgeable and respectful of my car. In other words I think they did a great job.  I have been a judge before at various car shows and always do the best I can with the knowledge I have, but I am sure I have probably made similar errors. In this particular case I felt they were mistaken, but I did not have any information to prove I was correct so I had to respect their decision. For all I knew they were correct and I was not.  I did want to find out what was correct so if it was ever pointed out again in the future I would have correct information. Now I know.   Regarding the GN in San Marcos, we had a blast even though the heat was relentless. It is always good to catch up with old friends and meet new ones, so likewise I enjoyed meeting you as well. The cherry on the sundae for me was that my car made it there and back home (1600 miles) being driven by it's own power in extreme heat without any problems. Hooray!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 11:20:35 AM by FINCADI »