Author Topic: 1956 Cadillac rear bumper bolt ???  (Read 314 times)

Offline JAG56Cad

1956 Cadillac rear bumper bolt ???
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
1956 folks need your assistance, what type of bolt would go on the bottom of the rear bumper end (blue circle) that holds the L bracket (red arrow) for the exhaust tip to the bumper?   ???

The bumper end hole has a larger diameter than the elongated hole of the L bracket (red circle). A chrome carriage bolt that fits the bracket hole would go through the bumper hole. Would this be a regular chrome hex bolt with a chrome washer?   :-\
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline South_paw

Re: 1956 Cadillac rear bumper bolt ???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Jose,

If memory serves me, a standard bolt goes there. I couldn't stand the look of it and used a chrome carriage bolt. It looked 100X better.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:52:07 PM »
Lou,

The L bracket on my picture is the OEM which I got a package with an OEM exhaust tip.

What Im not sure if the square hole on the bracket goes towards the mounting bar on the exhaust tip which also has a square hole or the elongated side?

The replicate exhaust tips (from McVeys) I have on this bumper end has the L mounted with a small bolt and the elongated hole down (you may be able to see it on the picture).

Both OEM and the replicate L bracket hole would only fit a bolt but the hole on the bumper end is for a 5/16.

So this is my dilemma since Im not sure which way is the correct way.   :-\

I agree having a carriage bolt would look much better; I have no problem making the hole on the replicate bracket larger to fit the correct bolt since it is made of a thing steel but not on the OEM piece.
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
You got me on that one. My memory seems same as Lou's recall on this. Clay

Offline Eldovert

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Jose,
I will dig out some of my stuff and see if I can answer your question.
Cheers,Pat

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
Clay, Pat,

Thanks..!

I took Lous suggestion on using a carriage bolt, I was able to enlarge the elongated hole on the L bracket to fit the bolt.   ;)

The good thing, I was able to the use the square neck on the bolt to lock it in the L bracket.  :)

Clay,

Hmm memory I remember having one of those once, not sure what happen..!   ;D
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:47:22 AM »
When I restored my '56 de Ville in the eighties, I discarded a steel part which was screwed together with the square rubber. Only later I understood the reason for that part: it helps the exhaust pipe to slide into the rubber pad. As I left them, the pipes stick to the rubber and compressed/deformed the mufflers! When I saw that, I did 2 pieces with stainless steel. The inconvenient: the exhaust tube may rattle from time to time.

According to your picture, you may have the same issue with your mufflers...

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »
When I restored my '56 de Ville in the eighties, I discarded a steel part which was screwed together with the square rubber. Only later I understood the reason for that part: it helps the exhaust pipe to slide into the rubber pad. As I left them, the pipes stick to the rubber and compressed/deformed the mufflers! When I saw that, I did 2 pieces with stainless steel. The inconvenient: the exhaust tube may rattle from time to time.

According to your picture, you may have the same issue with your mufflers...

Roger,

Funny you bring that topic..!

As I mention the OEM kit that I purchase with the OEM exhaust tip came with the mounting hardware and the rubber pad for the exhaust tips, the bag has part # 363 1836 under group 11.0000 which I could not find it under any of my MPLs.  :o

There was a metal piece which looked to be add, a half circle channel piece you can see it under P7090074 red arrow. After checking the rubber pad Ive notice it has two cuts about half way (blue arrows) with a larger circle below the cuts. So I gather this piece would somehow go in this area of the rubber pad.   :-\

I slide the metal piece and it looked perfectly, I would take a while guess this serves as a- rest for the exhaust pipe and as b- as a heat dissipation from the direct contact of the pipe to the rubber pad.

I cut the rubber pad from a piece of rubber mat and made the hole a bit larger to fit the pipe, not having a guide to work with the ones I made. When I torque the bolts the rubber do compressed on the corners but still leaving the pipe free floating just a bit.

I will try to make something similar or something a bit different for the replica ones to protect the pipe from making a direct contact with the rubber pad. Maybe wrapping the pipe with exhaust wrapping tape to insulate the heat when I torque the bolts around the rubber pad.  ???

Caffeine level is getting low and brain cells need to re-started.  ;D
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Jose, I checked my 1956, 1959 and 1961 MPL parts lists and also found nothing. There was a part # very close in the 1961 MPL, but still no exact match. Clay

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
In fact, I have no group 11.000!
Anyway, this channel piece is for the free movement of the exhaust tubes between cold and warm and, probably, to protect the rubber. I did not mines exactly like the original ones: I did a flange to be attached with the lower bolts. And bent the upper part at 90 with the curve, of course, but not formed as a channel. I did that for my Biarritz too.