Author Topic: Back to my smoking issue >:(  (Read 978 times)

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: Back to my smoking issue >:(
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
@walt c

Wellll... it seems the ring goods were good to me.

I checked one set on each piston and the top ones were within 0.018 gap and the second within 0.021 average no grinding was needed, so this set was a perfect fit.   :)

I took pictures of the old (top one) and the new (bottom one) which I overlay them so you can see the differences. P07290077 left side are the second ring and the right ones are the top rings.you can see the huge differences on the other pictures.   :o

As Johnny Im glad this just a hobby..!   ;)

More to come..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
Well Im ready to install the new rings but I would need a set of new eyes and a fresh brain since mine is already running low.    :P

The push rod bearing from my view do not look good; not sure if they should be smooth or if these marks are normal wear, the crank shaft is perfectly smooth?

I did a quick caliper checked on the rods and the crank locations and all have the same diameter, the ones now on the rods are 0.010. I will check them with the plasticgage to verify.

Not sure if it is a waste of time doing the plastigage the way these bearing are of I should go for a new set?   ???
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:55 AM »
I would get a new set and ask me what did the scratches?

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
I would get a new set and ask me what did the scratches?

Roger,

Thanks for the feedback..!

Yes, my gut feeling was telling me to replace them since Im already dealing with the rings. I just drop the order so I hope this will get me back on track.
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline russ austin

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
Did you prime the oil system before you cranked the car over for the first time?
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
Did you prime the oil system before you cranked the car over for the first time?

Russ,

Yes I did prime the oil pump before hand to get oil pressure and circulation before hand cranking and several times before using the starter.

What got me puzzle is the main journals are all in great shape and shinning no scratches that I felt or notice.  ???

I will make sure this time in applying assembly lube on all these areas before hand, do not want to go over this in the future.  ;)
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline novetti

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
If the crank journals were ground, with the new bearings the bearing clerance might be tighter than it should be.

Plastigague and confirm the current clearancing.

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
If there is a machine shop near you have them check the crank on their lathe .That would be no dought about the condition of the crank.They would be able to tell you what size and bearings too use.

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
@novetti

That is one item that Im not 100% sure if the previous machine shop had done, I do not believe but. ???

@rare eldorado

Yes there is one which Im planning on taking the heads to be checked.

Taking the crankshaft would be a pain since the block still on the car.  :(

As I mention I did a quick caliper measurement and the journals and push rods w/the current bearings and both measure 22.37 (push rod caps were not fully torque just tight), the current bearings are 0.010. I will try the plasticgage with the new set coming this week to get a more accurate reading.

Fingers cross..!   ;)
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
jag56  plasticgauge will not tell you of the trueness of the journels just the clearance  .If they are slightly out of round bearings will not seat correctly Roundness is also from side to side on each journel not only circumference.This will affect your oil pressure.Each one may have to be turned and resized for new bearings.,An out of round journel can wear a bearing prematurely and cause a slight knock.It might be to your advantage to remove the motor and take out the crank.Worn mains can also cause a problem..also the thrust bearing wear .Taking the time too do this now might just save you a lot of money and problems later on.Donot forget too use a new oil pump.Also check the cooling chambers in the block if they are dirty or clogged it can cause the motor to run too hot and ruin your new rings.It might have to be boiled out to clean it.That is if the motor had not been redone early on.