Author Topic: Back to my smoking issue >:(  (Read 761 times)

Offline novetti

Re: Back to my smoking issue >:(
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
With the engine still in the car I would plastiguage 2 journals just to have an idea.

Read this

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/media/local-media-north-america/pdfs/cl77-1-205r.pdf

The machine shop if not familiar with these dinossaur cars might have left the journal dimensions bigger than they should be for 0.0025 - 0.003 that this engine requires.

Another question : What oil did you use? 20W50 ?

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 07:12:04 AM »
If that machine shop is not familiar with the older cars (witch does not make sense if he is any kind of machinist) you need to find one that knows what there doing .Mistakes can cost a lot of money and time.Agood machine shop has all the equipment    to do motor work of all kinds.All motors old and new are very much the same except for specs and there are books for that.

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 02:48:16 AM »
The machine shop I use over here in the UK has books of specifications of all cars going back many years. He had the info on my 331. I guess the modern cars are on line now.

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »
Sorry folks got held up with other projects/fires..!   >:(

Again thanks for all your input and details on this thread really good feedback.

Had a chance to polished the rod journals with 600/800/1000 grid wet just going slightly over them. I check the clearance and all were within specs between 0.002 and 0.003 with the new bearings, Service Manual states above 0.0045 would require to replace the bearings.
I did a quick check on the main journal bearings and the two center one were perfect. I check them with plasticgage and were within tolerance, Ive also slightly hone the cylinders.

Ive decided to clock the ring gaps at 180 degree between top and second compression as well as the oil rings with a 90 degree separation between them and 45 degree from the center pin. The black marks on the pistons are the guide Ive used to get them aligned.

Was able to get two in yesterday #3 and #4 it took me a bit longer by myself and with the block in the car still, so I raised a help flag for the family to help this weekend to get the rest in. Not sure how much this help will cost me or my wife in grandkids babysitting fees.  :D

Just need the time to get the heads over to the shop to be check and recondition.

The engine was done by a local machine shop around 2009-2010 and it sat on a portable roller for a few more years after it was done while I was getting the interior and body done. Im not sure what the old timer may had for reference at that time at his shop since he was a one man shop (with some temp helpers).   ???

What got me into this path was as I had mention above was the fouled spark plugs and smoking with two different heads (390 first and 365 now) on the engine. When I discover the rings were (IMO) clocked incorrectly and the gap was way above the specs. So only thing I can speculate at this stage the problem was caused by the shop, not sure if it was the owner itself or the helper whom assemble the block.  :(
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:26:53 AM by JAG56Cad »
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Well finally got a chance to get back to putting the old girl back.

Got the heads back and torque down per specs, got the valve covers back as well to get the oil pump going. Yes, had to connect the oil filter lines before priming the oil pump.  ;)

Turn the crank by hand slowly while continue driving the oil pump to proper lubricate everything. Notice the oil getting to the hydraulic lifter so move to the next test.   8)

Compression test done to all cylinders now Im seeing at least 20% increase on all with a range of 175 to 185 on all, now this was done with no intake manifold and all cylinders were wet from the initial installation.  :)

So happy days are here again, I hope! 

Next task is to get the rest of the gears back in and do the burn in test, fingers cross hope for smoke be gone.  :D
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
Fingers crossed for you as well Jose. Wish I lived closer as I would drop by to lend you a helping hand. Clay/Lexi

Offline South_paw

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »
Enough testing.... fire that thing up  ;D

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
Fingers crossed for you as well Jose. Wish I lived closer as I would drop by to lend you a helping hand. Clay/Lexi

Clay,

Thanks my friend Ill take a rain check..!

Although not sure you will take my offer with our current strange weather we are having one day is 99 temp mid-humidity and the next is thunder storms with 99 temp and 99 humidity.    ;D
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Enough testing.... fire that thing up  ;D

Lou,

If all goes well Im hoping to fire her up over the weekend, need to wake up early tomorrow to drop our daughter at the airport for her biz trip. Maybe I can get the rest done after I get back.   ;)
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »

Clay,

Thanks my friend Ill take a rain check..!

Although not sure you will take my offer with our current strange weather we are having one day is 99 temp mid-humidity and the next is thunder storms with 99 temp and 99 humidity.    ;D

The weather wouldn't scare me off Jose! Besides it would be great helping you out with your '56 . Strange as it may seem our weather has actually been very similar up here this summer. Very hot, with lots of humidity, then rainstorms. Working on Lexi the other day it was 95 temp and very humid with scattered thunderstorms. Clay/Lexi