Author Topic: Tansmition slips  (Read 232 times)

Offline Sgtjaydee

Tansmition slips
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »
I have a 1961 Cadillac Fleetwood 32,000 original miles and when the transmission gets hot it seems to slip between the high two gears anybody give me some advice on troubleshooting flushed and drained and change the fluids put a new filter in the fluid levels appear to be h I have a 1961 Cadillac Fleetwood 32,000 original miles and one the transmission gets hot it seems to slip between the high two gears anybody give me some advice on troubleshooting flushed and drained and change the fluids put a new filter in the fluid levels appear to be normal.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

Re: Tansmition slips
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:44:05 AM »
Most probably the rubber seals at the front unit coupling are hard like glass and no more sealing, therefore the transmission is hunting between 3 and 4. There is only one cure: overhaul the transmission. With so few miles, I would just replace the seals and clutches, just the friction plates, not the steel plates. As I suppose you have no access to the Brougham chapter, you cannot see how I overhauled a '57 transmission which, with the exception of some details, is very similar to your own one.

Offline Sgtjaydee

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »
Thank you

Offline Sgtjaydee

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
I'M not noticing any leaks. I did adjust the passing gear mechanical kick down. Could this have any thing to do with the mechanical Kick down adjustment?

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
The sole question I may have: did you adjust that T/V rod corrctly?