Author Topic: Rear mirror  (Read 94 times)

Offline Cadillacfreak

Rear mirror
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:58:18 AM »
Hi Guys,

I was recently on a vacation in California. I really enjoyed staying over there, especially Santa Monica/Venice beach I liked the most. I even visit a few carshows, like the friday night at Bob's Big Boy at Huntington Beach. A very special night and pretty awsome to realise that they do this show every friday since 1949!

I also went to Pamona swapmeet, also a great show.

I bought there a owners manual for in the glovebox, because I still didn't have one after three years since I bought my Cadillac. I also learned a few things that I didn't know. For example; that there's a day/night level on the rear mirror!
And it actually works great at night. I really softens the headlights of cars in the rear. But does anyone know how this work? I cann't figure it out.

Offline 62 Coupe

Re: Rear mirror
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
Here is a link that explains how they work. The quick breakdown is that when in "day" position, the glass surface closest to you is aligned with the polished back plane inside the mirror. When you flip it to "night" the outer glass surface tilts out of alignment with the back surface which provides an image that is projected off the glass surface instead of the polished surface inside. Your pupils are dilated at night and take in the detail of that reduced reflection quite nicely.

https://www.scienceworld.ca/blog/how-does-rearview-mirror-antiglare-work
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill