Author Topic: 1962 - Bubbles in Radiator  (Read 334 times)

Offline Scott62

Re: 1962 - Bubbles in Radiator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:38 AM »
Sorry for late response.... The foamy bubbles only appear when engine reaches near normal operating temp like 170 to 180 degrees F. During warm up everything looks normal....no air bubbles/foam. With thermostat installed, my temp gauges pegs full scale when motor approaches the 180 degree mark. As thermostat opens the bubbles appear are in full force and stay steady from there. As flow increases in cooling system with the opening of the thermostat, the temp gauge slowly comes back in range. My guess is the extra circulation carries the bubbles away from the temp sensor and some liquid contact is re-established. I believe my issue is with the left cylinder head area which has the temp sending unit. One other observation: my IR temp gun shows the left cylinder head to be 10 to 15 degree F hotter as the engine warms up and after the bubbles appear. The warm up-bubble process is very repeatable so I'm afraid I have an internal engine issue. I doubt that it would be entrapped air as it would eventually work its way out.....any more thoughts are appreciated.

Offline Externet

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
Hi.
No bubbles during the warming period could tell there is no head gasket compression leak towards cooling chamber.
The foamy part makes me scratch my head...  tiny foamy bubbles instead of 'boiling' type of bubbles  ???
The dash thermometer peaking could mean sticky thermostat.  I would remove the thermostat and plug the bypass coolant path just to compare behaviors.  If I remember well, takes a ball smaller than a golf ball to block the bypass. If I remember well, the bypass passage is under the thermostat, joining the block outlet to the block inlet.  Please inspect to confirm.
Then, check if without installing the radiator cap, idling until hot...  Do bubbles begin foam tiny and later become boiling size ?

Is the exhaust white steamy ?  Does coolant level gets lower ?

Just for peace of mind, re-tighten water pump hose inlet clamps.  And driving with no thermostat and bypass blocked is not harmful at all.

Was a chemical flush used ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:05:31 AM by Externet »
5.0L+700R4 wrapped in a '61
V6 Vortec+4L60 wrapped in a '62
5.0L+THM350 wrapped in a '63
2000 LandRover, modified.

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
Side question, is there a difference in radiator cap if you have a car with or without A/C?
And which cap do I need since my car doesn't have an A/C anymore?

Offline Externet

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »
... Thermostat is out as the engine temp gauge was not happy with it installed.
Hi. 
Plug the bypass to run without thermostat.  A cork, a dowel, whatever fits in the passage.

Trying to explain better...

There is 4 flanged ports to the block.  Upper two are hot coolant block exit and 2 lower are pump outlet into block.
The single top port above the thermostat ('housing') is hot towards the radiator top.
The pump sucks from the single lower hose port (radiator outlet) and there is a bypass passage not pictured nor shown between the lower thermostat housing and the pump suction chamber.
If not blocked, the engine hot coolant is sucked by the pump inlet chamber and returned to block without passing trough the radiator.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:40:48 PM by Externet »
5.0L+700R4 wrapped in a '61
V6 Vortec+4L60 wrapped in a '62
5.0L+THM350 wrapped in a '63
2000 LandRover, modified.

Offline Scott62

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »
Well - I finally figured out my "bubbles in the radiator" problem and I thought I would share. It's a little embarrassing but I thought I'd better fess up and hopefully help the next poor sole from going through the same thing. One of the posts below on September 10th gave me the idea to look at the heater core. With my IR temperature gun I quickly realized that the heater hoses were not coming up to normal temperature. So......after I slid the temperature control knob on the dash to "warmer" I achieved proper flow through the heater core and flushed out all the air. The engine cooling system is now operating normally with no bubbles (foam) in the radiator.

I both laughed and cried after my success. I'm glad I figured this out before I took the motor apart but I'm embarrassed it took so long. Well, lesson learned I guess. I hope the above helps someone else along the way....thank you Caddy Forum.

Offline D.Yaros

• The Gray Lady - a '55 Coupe de Ville
  • Cadill-Ikes Chapter Member
  • Ex-Caretaker of The Gray Lady
    • Car Collector Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
"Real men" own up to their mistakes.  Congrats on both owning up and resolving the problem!
Dave Yaros
55 CDV/92 Allante
http://GrayLady.atwebpages.com
62 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Conv
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros

Car Collector Chronicles  http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/