Author Topic: Making progress on the '54  (Read 985 times)

Offline RobertM

Making progress on the '54
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:01:34 PM »
My 54 Sixty Special has been at the body shop since June.

It's a northern car (originally from Ohio, been in Connecticut since about '84), so I had the feeling there was some hidden gremlins underneath the paint, and boy was I right.  While it looked pretty solid, once the trim was off it turned out all four corners have needed sheet metal replaced.  Also, the trunk was completely rotted at the lip near the bumper.  Fortunately the floor and trunk pans were in good shape.  This was probably due to the factory tar undercoating that still protects the underside of the car. 

Here are a few pictures of some before and after areas:

A rear quarter before and after,
the bumpout area of the rocker before and after,
the trunk before and after
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

Re: Making progress on the '54
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
This was how much they cut off of the quarters to begin with, then they ended up going even higher.  The sheet metal fabrication of the rear wheel opening and of the skirt attachment is really well done. I picked the right place to get this work done.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Left fender ...I got a nasty surprise when I took the trim off and found it almost rusted in half.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
They did a spray-out of the new color (cobalt blue).  I was expecting it to be almost black, but it was much more blue than I wanted; almost akin to the Cadillac engine blue.  This picture is inside the shop, once we brought it outside it was much lighter than I wanted.  So, we agreed he would darken the current mix and we can decide to either use that or start over. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:44:16 PM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline South_paw

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
Cant wait to see her come together.  :P
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline RobertM

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Lou what are your thoughts on the the color?  Looking at these pictures, I guess it's pretty close, but I know when I saw it the 1st time I said that's lighter than I expected.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline RobertM

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:31:05 PM »
We darkened the color significantly from the original mix.  This is what I was hoping for, the blue is almost black but the metallic really pops thru in the sun.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Lexi

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:24 PM »
That looks like the color of my car. It seems that when my Caddy was repainted many years ago, the previous owner had the same dilemma. They also opted for a slightly darker cobalt blue, which looks almost black. In bright sunlight you can then see the small metal flakes. That other color does look more like Cadillac engine blue, and also a bit on the lighter shade. You know you got that color just right when your car is mistaken for black, yet it is obviously not when compared to a black colored vehicle parked next to it. That deeper shade of cobalt blue has a jewel like quality to it that the original color lacked, in my opinion. Clay/Lexi

Offline RobertM

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
Thanks Clay/Lexi. The way you described it is exactly what I was thinking.  I'd love to see a pic of your car.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Lexi

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 12:00:45 AM »
Hello Robert. Here are some shots of "Lexi". She is hard to photograph and capture that jewel like quality in her paint. It is also hard not to think of her as black until you see her next to a black colored vehicle for comparison. I guess these shots will have to do but they don't show the color well. In the back end shot compare the black color of the CLC plate to that of the car. Still not the best comparison but some of the differences between this cobalt blue and black are noted. The trunk valance is close to black but elsewhere the color lightens slightly when illuminated by more direct sunlight. In the first shot one would think the car is black. The color is a little chameleon like. Now when I take more photographs I will try to capture those subtle hues. Clay

Edit: This shot from a Cadillac show has my cobalt '56 Limo parked next to a code 10 black '55 Limo. Again not the best, but some differences noted.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:12:03 AM by Lexi »