Author Topic: Headlight Switch Repalcement  (Read 77 times)

Offline brianrudzki

Headlight Switch Repalcement
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:05:30 PM »
On my continuing journey of fixing the issues with my Series 62 I've come accross a selective headlight switch.  I'm getting 12v to the switch but the dash lights or interior lights wont eluminate.  My headlights and parking lights work fine.  With that in mind I have a few questions.
is it easier th replace the headlight switch by removing the dash top for better access? 
Where can I get a replacement switch?  I ordered a switch on line from Caddy Reproductions but it doesnt look like the replacement from the knob end.  The exisiting switch looks more extensive then the reccomended replacement.
I welcome any assistance or guidance anyone can offer.

Thanks
Brian

Online JAG56Cad

Re: Headlight Switch Repalcement
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
On my continuing journey of fixing the issues with my Series 62 I've come accross a selective headlight switch.  I'm getting 12v to the switch but the dash lights or interior lights wont eluminate.  My headlights and parking lights work fine.  With that in mind I have a few questions.
is it easier th replace the headlight switch by removing the dash top for better access? 
Where can I get a replacement switch?  I ordered a switch on line from Caddy Reproductions but it doesnt look like the replacement from the knob end.  The exisiting switch looks more extensive then the reccomended replacement.
I welcome any assistance or guidance anyone can offer.

Thanks
Brian

Brian,

Your issue is the rheostat at the headlight switch which controls the dash lights.  Either the resistance wire is broken or the contacts between it and the switch base are open or corrosion has settled in.   :(

If you have the fog lights option there is a switch for them which mount at the front of the headlight switch bracket, no fog light the mounting shaft just mounts on the bracket to screw the bezel.

Removing the top dash pad is the easier way to get access to the switch for removal; you can do it without removing the pad at the bottom if you have flexible bones to twist around a tight area.  ;D  Also, since you need to access the front speaker/amplifier unit removing the pad gives you access to everything.

You have to remove the molding around the front windshield (make sure you keep tabs on where the screws are place) that gives you access to remove 5 bolts with rubber grommets at the pad, both chrome tabs at the end of the dash, there are several screws under the pad and two at the speedo cluster.

That should do it, is a bit tricky getting it out so maybe some alcohol and pizza would give your friends incentive to help you on the task.   ;)

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline brianrudzki

Re: Headlight Switch Repalcement
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 07:21:53 PM »
Thanks Jose!  No fog lights on my Caddy.  Maybe I'll remove the switch and see if theres anyway to repair/clean the switch components.

Also.  I do like the idea of the pizza and beer approach however my friends would eat the pizza, drink the beer then want me to take them for a ride while they think about the project so they can tell ME how to do it.