Author Topic: Making progress on the '54  (Read 6749 times)

Offline RobertM

Re: Making progress on the '54
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2019, 05:44:22 AM »
What are you guys using for exhaust ports through the bumper...and how to center them? I'd much rather have the exhaust condensation go all the way out than into the bumper end. The bracket inside one of the bumper ends is pretty much unusable so that doesn't help.

What do you think of this? McVeys sells these 3 things separately: exhaust port insert, installation kit and insulator.  I think the total is about $232.  And knowing McVeys, the shipping will be about $40.
   https://mcveys.com/collections/miscellaneous/products/1954-and-55-exhaust-port-inserts
   https://mcveys.com/collections/miscellaneous/products/1954-1955-exhaust-port-insulator
   https://mcveys.com/collections/miscellaneous/products/1954-1955-exhaust-port-install-kit
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:55:00 AM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2019, 06:03:46 AM »
If you have access to an old tire, you can cut it and do your own insulators.
I don't know if the install kit is allowing for the exhaust dilatation, but it's something to consider. When I restored my '56 de Ville, I just discarded the tiny steel or brass "supports". Later, I saw that the mufflers were looking at the ends like an accordion. Then, I understood why those discarded parts were needed: the tubes can slide on them when the exhaust system is expanding. As the 1956 system is different than '54-'55, I don't know how the whole thing is installed.

Offline RobertM

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »
The lip of the trunk was really rotted out and all the metal is replaced.  Here's a dumb question...do I drill holes in the trunk for the license plate wires? This is the only pic of mine I can find that hints at where the wires may have went. I bought 2 wiring grommets to do this, but if it's supposed to go a different way, I'd like to do it right.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
When I took the car apart, there was a bracket attaching a fender and a grille extension missing. A friend just made me replacements for both sides and did a nice job.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
I've been away from the car for a few days.  Had a few minutes so I got the brackets holding the grille extensions to the fenders installed. These were the ones fabricated by a friend and fit like a glove. A small but satisfying victory. BTW You can see the rust repair that was done underneath the driver's headlight.  Looks great from the outside, seamless.

I'm nearly done with the exterior, just have to put on the exterior window reveal moldings, then the door windows will go back in next. Wish me luck there, replacing all the fuzzies and channels.  First time I'll have ever done that. Unfortunately I'll be kind of stuck at that point until I get my door panels back from SMS.  13 months and counting.  While I wait I will go get estimates on reupholstering the seats and other various interior stuff.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2019, 07:01:16 AM »
Somewhat disappointing day. I got the bumper inserts from McVeys and I think they're not what I expected. I don't see the need for what these are. I'll return them and just get some $20 exhaust tips.

Also I spent hours over the past few days cutting and shaping insulators to go in the bumper ends, only to have one of the brackets break off in my hand and the other side is pretty much unservicable. If I had the foresight I would have had those brackets fabricated before the bumpers were re-chromed. No way I'm going to try to weld anything inside at this point and risk damaging the chrome outside.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:46:35 AM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
Hello Bob,
                 What a beautiful Cadillac you have. It would be nice to meet someday and take some pictures of are Cadillacs together. Here are some pictures of the license plate lights wiring on my 55 Fleetwood.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline RobertM

« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
Thank you Bob. That helps immensely. The repair kit for the trunk lip didnt include the holes where yours are. I have a much better idea now of what to do.

That would be wonderful.  Where are you located? I'm in Connecticut.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
This car is fighting me, every single nut and bolt is a challenge. Slowly but surely I'm making headway.

Havent figured out the turn signal and brake light issue yet. Before I go taking the steering wheel off to check the turn signal switch I'm going to try and see if the brake switch might be the problem. And I somehow broke the shaft to the trunk lock. Might have to replace the whole thing. Small problem but aggravating nonetheless. 

I am very close to having the exterior completely finished. Door windows are next then I'm at a standstill waiting for SMS with my door panels. I have possibly lined up a shop to do the interior this winter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:49:14 AM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
Thank you for your tenacity! The car is simply gorgeous. Sometimes you just need to walk away from it for a day or so and when you come back, the problem you left seems more solvable. Easy for us to say, but it's worth every bit of time and expertise you invested in this car so we can all enjoy it. ;D