Author Topic: Making progress on the '54  (Read 6748 times)

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: Making progress on the '54
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
Lexi, got your pm. This is what I would need. No worry about the chrome bits. By the potmetal part. I meant the piece that holds the socket in place, where it screws to the assembly.

Yes, there is a pot metal bracket that holds the socket in place. You can have that as well. I am still not sure how all this comes out. Jose mentioned two retainer prongs on each side of the socket. I guess they come off? One surely must cut at least one of the grommets to pull the assembly out? Yes? No? Clay

Clay,

The bracket that holds the socket is all one piece, I believe the socket is either pressed in or spot welded.  ???

The insulator can be removed just need to pull the wires out and then you can press the insulator down where one of the tabs are to allow it to be release on the opposite end tab. Is a bit tricky but it is doable.

The rubber grommet in most cases will be a “goner” if in bad shape but one can be made not 100% but close to it. Also the original wire with the rubber insulation can be reused if in good shape, most I’ve seen the rubber was cracked and crumbling.

One thing I found the original ones the wire ends did not have the brass contact buttons, the end of the wire had an oval washer piece and solder to hold them in place. The washer tend to fall apart with age and usage so the wire was just smashed into a ball at the base.   :o
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline South_paw

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Rob,

This is when having a Fleetwood makes life difficult. The trunk cardboard is different than the coupes. There is a compartment on the right side that is not found on coupes. Plus the other kicker is the fleetwood trunks are color keyed to the interior color of the car. When I did my 60S, i made my own trunk side boards from door panel board. Then i sprayed the board to match. It was a pain in the ass but it came out very nice. Attached pics shows my old Fleetwood trunk(green) the blue one is from an all original 54 Fleetwood(blue).
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline RobertM

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
Lou,  What did you use for a template? Where did you maybe cut some cardboard in place?

Lexi, You just unscrew those 2 screws, push the grommet in and everything pulls out in the direction of the lens.  My problem was that I had never disassembled one before and I tried to remove the socket from the pot metal piece and started pulling things in the wrong direction.  I ended up damaging that piece that the end of the wires attach to in the socket.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline South_paw

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
I made mine from scratch using cardboard for a template. They didn't have the coupe trunk boards available back then. Come to think of it the coupe and fleetwood trunk is the same size. You should be good to buy the coupe boards and modify them into fleetwood boards. The driver side will be ready to install, it's only the pass side that needs to have the compartment added.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Lexi

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »
Lexi, You just unscrew those 2 screws, push the grommet in and everything pulls out in the direction of the lens.  My problem was that I had never disassembled one before and I tried to remove the socket from the pot metal piece and started pulling things in the wrong direction.  I ended up damaging that piece that the end of the wires attach to in the socket.

Socket and wires removed. Strain relief crumbling, so left. Don't think it comes out anyhow without ruining it. Round rubber "gaskets" or insulators that the 2 bolts pass through look good, (they were deteriorated on my other unit). So this pulled unit looks good. Someone had soldered a ground to it as explained in my PM to you, so I used my solder gun to remove as not OEM. Will try and get to post office tomorrow with it. Canada Post has rotating strikes right now, so there may be delays, but the part looks operational will soon be off to you. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
Bob I sent you a PM. Clay

Offline RobertM

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
Very nice of you to do this for me. Thank you!
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline Lexi

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
No problem. The deed is done and part is on its way. Looking forward to learning that your ride is fixed and also seeing that gorgeous paint job when all done. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:12:45 PM by Lexi »

Offline RobertM

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
Ok another question has come up. Why would the instrument panel not seem to fit the dash now? The holes line up but the cluster seems too wide for the space now. Anyone have experience with this?  I love the dash paint btw.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline RobertM

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »
I went down to North Carolina to visit family for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Of course I also visited my big blue girl. All the metal fabrication is finally finished and the paint is coming along nicely. Interior parts and doors are done, the hood and trunk lid are in progress and the front fenders are next in line.

I cant wait to get her home so I can start putting the interior and windows back together and installing the 1000 pieces of chrome and stainless.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)