Author Topic: 1960 Series 62 vs Coupe DeVille  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Dice

Re: 1960 Series 62 vs Coupe DeVille
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »
Well here is more of your Hydramatic than you ever wanted to see!
So, for those that don't know, LIKE ME, there is a seal ring on the main shaft that holds pressure much like a piston ring. Its made the same way and mine was broken.
When its broken it just like when your piston ring is busted.. no compression. or in this case, no pressure to make it shift.
The car is fixed but now that the thing is making pressure like it should, the radiator is leaking trans fluid. Radaitor is being soldered up and will hopefully be fixed tomorrow and I SHOULD have it back tomorrow evening.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Most probably, the metal seal was not centered on the shaft and, when pushing (rather hard) the front unit coupling on the shaft, the seal broke. It happend once to me...Therefore, when the front unit coupling is in place, I'm looking with a flash light if nothing is looking strange.

Offline Dice

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 08:14:42 AM »
Well after a second trip back to the transmission shop all seems to be in 100% working order for the Hydramatic.
Apparently there was a mishap on the seal rings included with the first kit that was installed. They say the seal rings were not hardened steel and the car stopped shifting after it got hot. The shop pulled it again and fixed the problem. I'm so happy to have a local Dallas shop that knows how to build a Hydramatic and stand behind their work.
C&R Transmissions Dallas TX.  Highly recommended.

Offline 57shark82

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »

Good to know.  Both my Hydro's shift well but I always feel like I'm missing my overdrive in my 57.  I don't have that issue with my 55.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe "Adeline"
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville "Evelyn"
1957 Cadillac Series 62 "The Shark"

Offline Dice

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
Having a little trouble getting the dash back together. The springs on the hooks that pull it forward are weak and janky and wont hold it tight against the windshield.
Other than that, and a few trim pcs, its pretty much on the road for good now. New L78 15's and some 57 caps give it the look I wanted.