Author Topic: Radium Hot Springs Show and Shine  (Read 185 times)

Offline 62 Coupe

Radium Hot Springs Show and Shine
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »
This is the 7th Columbia Valley Cruisers show and shine I've attended but the first where the passes on the way had snow! At lower elevations it was okay and there was no accumulated snow or salt evident. Whew.

We checked in at Big Horn Meadows then I went and cleaned the car up. I'll post some photos from the show tomorrow.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 61CDV

Re: Radium Hot Springs Show and Shine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
 What a beautiful panoramic looking down that long 62 hood.

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
61CDV, it's a view I never get tired of. Here are a few interesting facts on the drive from our place in Calgary to Radium Hot Springs. We start off on the 165 mile drive at 3,600' then by Banff are up to 4,600' before reaching 4,800' when we turn off HWY 1 and head West on HWY 93, From there we climb up to 5,700' before dropping down to 3,800 as the highway heads south between ranges. We then climb back up to 4,900' as we go over the last range in the Canadian Rockies and head down to Radium nestled into the Columbia Valley at 2,800'. Radium is located in what is called the Rocky Mountain Trench which divides the Rocky Mountains to the East from the Columbia Mountains to the West. The distance as the crow flies is just 90 miles from our place but all the toing and froing in and around mountains really adds to the distance. Even with all the low cloud and mist it was a good drive.

Here are a few photos from the show.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:58:13 AM by 62 Coupe »
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Some more...

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
A few more...

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:29 AM »
The sun actually made an appearance of sorts in the afternoon which was nice. All in all it was a great show although by noon, only around 500 cars showed up. I think a lot of people kept their hotel reservations but drove their family cars to the show.

Offline Perk2

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
500 cars is still a nice size show...and WHAT A SETTING!
That place looks like heaven on Earth!
Love that old Caddy with the stitches on it...too funny.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline 6262

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:17 AM »
What a wonderful place! Visiting the Pacific North West is in my bucket list. Mabye the most beautiful part of the world... What happened to the '48 Sedanette? It looks like a collector up to the firewall and like a Rat Rod in front of it  :)
Is this a genuine Rebel Machine? Or a tribute car?

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
The '48 with the stitches looks like it had an accident that the owner couldn't get repaired in time for the show. It looked pretty fresh. The stitches were a good way to make light of the damage. I feel for the guy.

The Rebel Machine is an original car that the owner has had for decades.