Author Topic: Welcome Bronze to Mid Century Cadillacs  (Read 47 times)

Offline South_paw

Welcome Bronze to Mid Century Cadillacs
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:33:16 AM »
Welcome Bronze

Glad to have you on board the Cadillac of forums  8)  Your account is now activated.

Go ahead and kick the tires. Say hi.

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Bronze

Re: Welcome Bronze to Mid Century Cadillacs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »
Hi,
Martin from Sweden here. Drive a Nissan Leaf as a daily driver and feel the need to do a bit of co2 compensation by driving a V8 in the weekends :)
Used to drive a 56 Sedan De Ville and loved it but always felt that a Convertible would be the ultimate cruiser. So now i am in the process of restoring a 56 convertible. I am the type who enjoys my garage time more than driving, hence the state of my project :D

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »
Nice, what is the original color and what color will you paint it?
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Bronze

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:06:18 AM »
Paint code is 12-50. Mandan red over Canyon Grey, ant that's where i am going eventually, but it has a long way to go before that. Plan is to get all things functional, like electrical, heating etc before it is time to do the "pretty" stuff. so it will live as a rough looking rolling restoration for at least a couple of years.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:49:11 AM »
Two tone convertible? That's a first. Can you share a picture of the firewall tag. I would love to see it.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
Sure, here it goes, I got a similar reaction on the CLC forum. I hope i have not misunderstood it, but my understanding is that it means a Canyon grey car with only the little part above the chrome trim on top of the door in red which then continues on the inside, windshield frame for example.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
Ok, this car is a very late build. 8220 out of 8300 built. Most likely built in late June of 1956. Although i think this two tone is a typo on the data tag. Anything is possible with Cadillac. You need to order the built sheet for this car. That will confirm or deny the two tone codes on your tag. The reason I'm thinking typo is because this would have been a special request for a convertible and that would have had an SO# for the color code. Especially because it was not a recommended two tone combination.

Once again. Welcome to the forum. Be sure to checkout and try all of the options and features we have here on this forum. As you probably already noticed, much easier to post pictures when compared to the CLC forum  8)
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline South_paw

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Well I learned something new today. I just went thru my collection of built sheets. I have about 100 of them and most are from 1956. I found another two tone convertible. This one is black lower color with white upper color and a white top. It's something I never considered in the past so I never looked for it. Gotta love it. If you do get the built sheet for your car please share it with me if you can.  8)
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
Thanks for confirming that a two tone convertible at least is possible :)
Against the typo theory is that the windshield frame (under the chrome trim) is red and also residue of red on the top of the doors and quarter panels.
Then one rivet looks wrong on the tag. Can it have been messed with?
Build sheet will be ordered today!