Author Topic: Project Omaha is now Ten Years old.  (Read 178 times)

Offline South_paw

Project Omaha is now Ten Years old.
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
Hard to believe that ten years have past.. The car got newer and I got older.  :o

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline South_paw

Re: Project Omaha is now Ten Years old.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »
Had an epic thread going on the CLC forum before back then. Yes I saved it all before the stupidity started. Imagine the amount of views it would have had if it was still there today. Their loss not mine. It pushed me to create this place  8)

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
I remember looking the car over when she first came off the trailer. I was excited and overwhelmed at the same time. Started making a list of what works and what doesn't. Surprisingly all of the Eldo stuff was there. Whew!

Here are some before and afters...
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline 56 Eldorado

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
Its a beautiful car Lou!  And thanks for the Mid-Century Cadillacs forum.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Modaff

Offline Lexi

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
I saw Lou's car at the Boston Grand National a few years back, and she is gorgeous. Thanks for saving her and for creating this site. You have enabled others to save their vintage Cadillacs for present as well as for future generations to enjoy. Cheers! Clay/Lexi

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:32:29 AM »
Lou, I loved that thread and I followed you to this forum. After ten years are there any jobs on the car that need redoing? Is there anything you would've done differently and any parts you used on it that have not lasted so well ? Phil

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 03:16:16 AM »
On the picture showing the engine compartment, I don't see the wiper motor. I can see it clearly on the picture when unrestored.  Did you replace it with an electric one or don't drive when it's raining?

Offline South_paw

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »
On the picture showing the engine compartment, I don't see the wiper motor. I can see it clearly on the picture when unrestored.  Did you replace it with an electric one or don't drive when it's raining?

I was focused on trying to find the right picture for a before and after look. I missed that the wiper was yet to be installed when this picture was taken. Here it is.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline South_paw

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »
Lou, I loved that thread and I followed you to this forum. After ten years are there any jobs on the car that need redoing? Is there anything you would've done differently and any parts you used on it that have not lasted so well ? Phil

Great questions Phil. The exhaust was something that was redone. I shared that here a couple of years ago. And I just had to have the brake booster rebuilt again. Otherwise, so far so good.

What I would have done differently during the build is the use of personal protection equipment. My right ear still rings to this day because I needed to use the grinder in the rear wheel house for just a quick grind down of a small weld spot. It was a quick 30 second thing, so I didn't grab my ear protection.  What I didn't realize is that the noise of the grinder amplified in the wheel house. Permanent damage done. Live and learn but I sure do wish I could have that 30 seconds back.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 06:29:19 AM »
Mine is the left one. I grind recast rear fender moldings without hear protection. Since more than 25 years the left ear still rings...