Author Topic: 1956 Bracket spark plug wire and coil mount  (Read 191 times)

Offline Lexi

1956 Bracket spark plug wire and coil mount
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
I need help in identifying a couple of parts as well as there proper use. Can anyone identify whether this is the correct spark plug wire bracket for a 1956 365 engine & is it installed correctly? I realize that it needs the spark plug wire grommets. I imagine that the throttle return spring hooks into the small hole on the bracket, driver side, (tiny hole farthest from camera).

Also, and more puzzling at least to me, there is an off-square metal plate that the wire bracket is attached to, bolted to the rear of the intake manifold, (see pic). It is a platform that extends the upper surface area of the intake manifold to facilitate mounting the coil and spark plug wire bracket (I believe). The two smaller holes (apparently) accept the coil mounting bracket perfectly, (see 2 small screws but no coil mounted yet). I have never seen one of these metal plates before. Is it a later year modification or just something that often got discarded over the years, or from a different year that just happened to fit the 1956 intake manifold? Or is this some previous owners one-off idea of an improvement. It sure looked original prior to painting and appears to have been factory made with a high degree of precision.

These pieces were missing from my car and I am trying to put everything back to original during my engine rebuild. Thanks for any assistance provided. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:25:03 PM by Lexi »

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: 1956 Bracket spark plug wire and coil mount
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »
Clay,

That looks to be the correct plug wires bracket and you are correct the small hole is where the carb throttle return spring hooks.   ;)

The flat plate that one could well be an aftermarket/hand made possible to keep the heat from the ignition coil.   ???
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
I thought about that, keeping heat away from the coil. I have had perhaps 8 '56 intake manifolds over the years and looked at a bunch of cars and not seen such a mounting plate before. I shall have to place my carb over the mounting studs to see if the plate has to be flipped to ensure no contact is made with the coil. About all I can say is that the plate appears to have been made for that purpose, for this intake manifold. Just not sure by whom. It came off a car that had a single Carter carburetor. Thanks Jose! Clay/Lexi

Offline The Johnny

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
Boys,

I have the same plate on my engine. Was on a 56 parts car and I suspect it was original (4 door).

The Johnny

Offline Lexi

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
That is very interesting Johnny. I thought the one I have looked original. Wonder if it is something issued later in the model year so not all cars were equipped with it, (or on early vehicles after which GM abandoned using this mounting plate). Before my engine goes into the car, I can get a better photograph or make a template of it in case any one is interested in replicating it. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Checked the MPL and under section 7.1335, "Ignition Coil", there is a listing for 1953 -1959 Cadillac for a 12 volt coil "w/mtg. bracket", (part number 111 5082). When exhausted the parts manuals says to use part #111 5087 which refers to a 12 volt coil "less mtg. bracket". I am not sure if this mounting bracket is just referring to the half round ring that wraps around the coil to facilitate mounting, OR is referring to this plate. There is also a listing for "Bracket, Ignition Coil Mounting" (section 7.1370), for 1957 dual carb and 1959 3 carb (called a "Coil support"). Then section 7.1375 lists a "Plate, Ignition Coil Adapter" for 1957 - 1959 cars , except dual carb models. Unfortunately there were no pictures. Clay/Lexi

Offline The Johnny

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »
Lexi,

Interesting.

In the 1961 MLP it shows:

7.1335 Ignition Coil

1953-59    Part # 111 5087   Less mounting bracket stamped 087

7.1375  Plate Ignition Coil Adapter

1957-60  Part # 146 8740  Single Carb

Perhaps your the plate is stamped 087? I don't remember if it had a number stamped on it.

The Johnny

Offline Lexi

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
Johnny thanks for pointing that out. I should have checked several MPLs but I only checked the 1959 edition and there is no mention of a mounting plate #087 there, but you are correct that it is in the 1961 MPL (which I just checked today). Just in case I also checked an original 1956 MPL and there is no mention of #087 there either, but it has a listing for ignition coils for "1953 - 1956 Cadillac @ 12 volt w/mounting bracket". A buddy of mine thinks this plate is for '57 - '59 Cadillacs due to the different carburetor base configuration, (the "ears" or bolt holes stick further out then the '56, as readily visible in the carb mounting base gaskets). If he is right, then this plate was used to "stand off" the coil in order to best clear the carb........but those MPL notes are not entirely clear, at least to me. I will check my engine next opportunity to see if there is that magic #087 stamped on that coil mounting plate. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:30:20 PM by Lexi »

Offline Lexi

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
Pulled that plate off to take a better picture. Here is the rascal. No #087 stamped on either side, (see previous posts especially last 2). Holes with screws are to accept the coil. The top (empty) holes are for mounting the plate to the intake manifold, with the spark plug wire loom holder being mounted to the empty hole on the extreme left. No #087 stamped on my half round coil bracket either. Clay/Lexi