Author Topic: 1956 Eldo Biarritz: to restore or not?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Roger Zimmermann

Re: 1956 Eldo Biarritz: to restore or not?
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »
During the preparation for the paint, I checked if most of the trim parts would fit. The rear bumper had also to be temporarily installed to check the aperture.

July 1998: Once I was ready with the outside of the body, I could spray some paint on the inside panels. I know that the factory did not paint inside parts so much, but once I have a pray gun in the hand (and enough paint) I'm not to be stopped!

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 04:57:37 AM »
Parallel to the assembly and body prepare, there were many things to organize, go to the plater, discuss with the man doing the upholstery and repairing what people sold me as "like new" parts. One good example is the front bow. The one on the car was full of holes; I looked for a good one. I got an offer from a very well known convertible parts supplier; according to him, it was really like new, ready to install. OK, deal done, let ship that marvel!
When it came, the front bow was indeed very gook looking. Ah! at least something I can store until it's needed. However, when I was looking at the part, I heard some strange noises inside. By shaking it, it was clear: this thing was repaired and bondo was traveling inside. What do do? well, have a look "under the rock" which means: I began to scratch the paint to see what was under. It was not nice: bondo over the rust. The whole part was maybe a little better than the one I had already, but not much. What next? I separated the halves and I began to weld patches...then sandblasted, paint of the inside and welded again. As I was at this work, I repaired the bow which was on the car; I sold it later, but I was confident that my work was first quality, not like the one I bought. By the way, this supplier is since "dead" for me.
The pictures are showing the "like new" bow.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »
The "car" was delivered to me without the hard boot. By chance, I could find one in good shape. New paint was needed and the leather on the side was no more good. I had to think how to attach it again to the plastic part; I found a solution with small screws. If needed, I can take the leather away without problem.
The hard boot was repainted by the body shop, I did not the work myself.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2019, 06:31:10 AM »
Another great day: the car is coming out of the garage under its own power! I had many trouble the day I started the engine, all created by myself...I believe an observer that day would have seen a funny cartoon:
the engine is starting, fine! I go under the hood and ran back to stop the engine: fuel is coming out the carbs! the screws from the air horn were loose, I had forgotten to tighten them...
New start: Oh my god! there is no oil in the transmission! OK, some liters after, I start the engine again. After a while, I see a lake of oil under the engine! What was wrong this time? Oh ! I forgot to tighten the lid of the oil filter...At least, I'm now sure that oil is coming there!
Then, the engine ran good, without too much problem. They would come later. Stay tuned!