Author Topic: Wax what to use  (Read 406 times)

Online Caddy Daddy 55

Wax what to use
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:30:43 AM »
Going to wax the 55 Fleetwood this winter. Been using Wizard products for a couple of years now just wondering if there are better products out there? Will also be doing the chrome.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline Lexi

Re: Wax what to use
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
I use Nu Finish, a liquid based product on my car. Not sure how it would compare to Wizard, but I would say it is worth a try. I am also interested in learning whether members consider paste wax superior to liquid wax, as the jury seems to be still "out" on that one. Nu Finish seems to be easier to apply and remove (though I do not recommend applying in direct sun). Clay/Lexi

Offline Perk2

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
I have used Meguiars products for a long time now, not only on my cars, but on other collector cars I've detailed.
Their products are numbered, and each do something different.
Their "00" is used with water to wash the car, has no detergents in it that would remove wax.
Depending on how damaged the paint is, will decide what to use next.
Most of the time using the glaze "7" does a great job of removing light swirls and leaves a high gloss look.
This can then be followed by the "26" (I believe), which is the actual wax coat...some just leave the glaze on.
Use either an actual cotton diaper, or the new micro-fibre towels to remove the wax...I would use the micro fibre towels to dry the car as well...regular towels leave many swirls behind.

The treatment can be done by hand or with a wheel...all depends how good you are with a wheel.

There are other products that are very similar (Griot's comes to mind), and of course some very high dollar carnuba waxes.

I had come across a VERY high gloss, expensive product that this eccentric millionaire had me use on his cars while I was his shine boy back in the lid 80s, and it was called "NAAS LOOK"...but haven't seen it since.

There is a big difference between the Meguiars products, and the one step stuff like NuFinish...at least in my experience.

Hope this helps.
Perk
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline RobertM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:49 AM »
I had the same question recently and went with Mothers California Gold. Its straight carnauba with no extra cleaners etc. Did all my chrome and stainless with it, came out great.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'95 Sedan Deville
'99 Eldorado (RIP 2018)

Offline Willits

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • San Francisco Expat in Prague, Czech Republic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:38:51 AM »
I apply a coat 3M hand glaze first, and then 2 coats of 3M Show Car Paste Wax.  I get a nice glossy finish that usually is good for the whole season. 
Peter
Eldorado fins, whitewalls and skirts
Rides just like a little bit of heaven here on earth
Well buddy when I die throw my body in the back
And drive me to the junkyard in my Cadillac
-Cadillac Ranch

1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:27:37 AM »
I never wax my cars. Clay bar once a year only. They are not daily drivers therefor the finish doesn't need protection. Especially if your car has a modern paint on it. Todays finishes are very durable. If you must wax, use pure waxes only. No cleaners or sealers.

More about clay bars....

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Lexi

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Yes, Clay bars are great. Use them once a year or so. Clay/Lexi

Online Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I might try the clay bar never did that before. I think Iíll start dare I say Mustang.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline Lexi

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
The first time I used a clay bar (in conjunction with a wax job), I could immediately see the difference. Then I drove Lexi to a car show that day. My car buddies thought that the car had been re-painted! At another show a couple of years later I made the mistake of parking under some trees that were in the process of "molting", or whatever it is they do. When I got home my car's surface felt like sandpaper. There was a tiny sap like residue all over it. I first tried a damp cloth to remove this, but to no avail. Waxing did not remove it either. As panic was then setting in, I ran for my clay bar. That worked! I spent the next couple of days thoroughly cleaning my car.

During use you will note that it will strip a small amount of color from your finish like waxing does. Not sure how often it should be used, (I am not sure how 'aggressive' it actually is), but application once a year seems to be OK. Clay/Lexi