Author Topic: Being judged on power steering hoses  (Read 257 times)

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

Being judged on power steering hoses
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:52:59 AM »
I have a 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood. I cannot find original power steering hoses for my Cadillac. I would like to replace them since they are 64 years old. If I do replace them like the ones from Caddy reproductions will I lose points at Grand Nationals?

Regards,

Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: Being judged on power steering hoses
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
Bob,

If the reproduction one do not have the reducer at the mid-point toward the steering box, I would take a while guess to say “Yes, it would be point reduction”, other could chime in.   ???

Not sure if you have your old one and if by luck you may find a local hydraulic shop around town that could re-used the same couplers/reducer and crimp new hoses, or maybe made one that would be similar.

Good luck….!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Perk2

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
We have an outstanding rubber shop nearby that is willing to make the trans cooler lines for the 61.
Mine is leaking a tad, but I have yet to remove it and have them make an identical one. (non A/C)
If anyone has an original set off the car, (Carl), perhaps I could borrow and have them made?
Perk
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline Lexi

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
Hello Bob. Last year I was able to purchase a new high pressure power steering hose for my '56 from McVey's, complete with the reducer. Looks like the old OEM part. The '55s are also noted as being available at $95.00. Check out the link below. Clay/Lexi

https://mcveys.com/collections/power-steering-hoses/products/1954-1955-power-steering-pressure-hose

Edit 1: I have yet to install mine. They also sold me a lower pressure line, but in retrospect that you can probably obtain locally for a lot less (and less shipping cost as well).

Edit 2: I agree with Jose's comments. The Authenticity Manual for your car futher supports this as it makes note of the proper high pressure hose to use (page III-5). It even mentions the "metal splice near the center". So I would assume that the judges would look for this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:32:12 PM by Lexi »

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
Yes Perk you can borrow mine.  I will be driving by Plymouth in the next month.  I will need to remember to put it in the car.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
Bob,

Yes if the judges pickup on it, you can be dinged for an incorrect hose. The McVeys hose for 54-55 looks close but not exact. The 56 hose they offer looks a lot closer to the original but that wont help you because the fittings are different. I have an original hose for 55 and 56. Hoping that I can get them reproduced exactly someday. Years back, Fusick was interested in repop'ing them but I need to follow up. Pic of an original 56 attached. 55 is the same just different connection fittings.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Lexi

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Bob,

Yes if the judges pickup on it, you can be dinged for an incorrect hose. The McVeys hose for 54-55 looks close but not exact. The 56 hose they offer looks a lot closer to the original but that wont help you because the fittings are different. I have an original hose for 55 and 56. Hoping that I can get them reproduced exactly someday. Years back, Fusick was interested in repop'ing them but I need to follow up. Pic of an original 56 attached. 55 is the same just different connection fittings.

I remember Fusick was interested in doing them and seem to recall they were looking for a good surviving original to copy. But I never heard a follow up. I have not done a precise A - B comparison of my new McVey hose to my OEM unit (which is still on my car). When things warm up I will do so if I remember, and report on my findings. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:03:59 PM by Lexi »

Offline RobertM

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
I needed new hoses a couple years back and ended up using what I could get made at a NAPA store. Right after that, I went to Fusick for something else and I gave them my old hoses so they had a template to replicate them. This was in probably 2014-15.  Give them a call, maybe they actually did.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Perk2

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
Ok Carl sounds good....bring both lines and I'll make it happen.
Perk
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"