Author Topic: 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille rear window adjustment problem  (Read 448 times)

Offline carguyblack

1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille rear window adjustment problem
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
Was hoping you could help me find some help in getting my rear window adjusted correctly on our 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The shop manual on page 14-35 describes the fore and aft adjustment in step A. 6 , referring to figure 14-61. The letters H and I that are described and supposedly in figure 14-61 are not pictured in that illustration and that is exactly what I need to know.
Do you know if there was a service bulletin correction on that?
My side glass looks really nicely aligned but the two glass pieces meeting at the middle weatherstrip makes it too tight for the windows to go down when the doors are shut. I need to widen that gap a bit and dont understand how to do that. Basically I need to adjust my rear side glass back a touch (aft) so the meeting of the 2 is not so tight. My front side glass is fixed due to the vent frame so I can only think I have one choice in the matter.
Any suggestions or guidance? Thanks so much!
Chuck

Offline South_paw

Re: 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille rear window adjustment problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:08:57 PM »
Hi Chuck,

A few questions for you. Has the glass always been tight? Are your doors aligned properly? Any door sag? Is the weatherstrip original or a replacement? How is the front door gap to the front fender? If it is a little on the wide side, The front door can be moved to close the gap at the fender and that will open up the gap at the back giving you the room you need for the glass..
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 07:48:37 PM »
Wow, just got a look at the shop manual and boy did they screw up the diagrams. From my experience you need to follow diagram 14-62 when they reference 14-61.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »
Hello and thanks for the reply!
The windows have been out of the car for painting and repair but the doors haven't been off the hinges and the body lines are really nice with no door sag or hinge wobble. I'm afraid of pinching the front door gap with the fender too tight for fear of catching the moldings when the door opens, plus spoiling the nice gap in there now. The vertical weatherstrip was replaced with new. Everything looks happy and when I was testing the window motors before I put the door panels all back on again, they rolled up and down like champs. But, when I got around to the driver side and was putting the driver door panel back on and was testing the master switch, that's when I discovered the binding because the doors were now both shut on the other side of the car for the first time. So, I'd just like to back the rear window "aft" about 1/16 inch and I'll bet that would take the pinch out of it. But I sure can't tell how to do that from the manual, as you now see.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »
You also asked if the windows have always been tight. Probably not as the weather strip between the glass was shot, the original vent frame was broken and the roof rail was shot. All that has now been fixed and replaced with new and "appears" to all be where it belongs. The side glass is all flat and uniform laying up against the roof rail to the right height. I had a welded vent frame in place which I now replaced with a new one and also replaced the rear window motor and took out the rear glass when I did that. Those 2 events have now developed into this new binding situation. Nothing has changed with the door alignment but only the 2 things I have just described.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:28:35 PM »
Regarding the shop manual observation you also have now made, I thought the same thing that I could look at 14-62 instead. However, when you look at the previous descriptions of the window components in a previous diagram, things don't make sense with access holes etc.
That's why I was hoping maybe Cadillac did a service bulletin correction for that page somewhere along the line. I can't be the only one scratching my head about this over the last 60 years?

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 03:23:03 AM »
When I still had my Sedan de Ville, I had a similar situation on the RH side. I more or less solved it by avoiding that the rear end from the rear widow is going too far up. If you can lower the stop at the rear, the front edge will not go as much forwards.
Sorry, this is not easy to explain, but you have to understand the cinematic of the rear window and all the elements around it to find the trick.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:34:54 AM »
Hello Roger,
I've already done that and that adjuster stop is already as far down as the screw will allow. I am thinking that perhaps the rubber cushion on that stop may no longer be there, which could be the reason I've had to turn it all the way down with little effect on the window height. I'll need to take the panel off again to check that but was thinking a "fore and aft" adjustment like the manual describes would be preferred and was awaiting some sort of instructions as to how to do that. But it's beginning to feel like your suggestion may be the understandable way to go.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
Ah! those stop adjusters! I remember too that there was a problem with them: I believe the sheet metal is too weak and something was no more good on my car. I did some parts to correct the issue, unfortunately, I did no picture; I don't remember what I did. There is effectively a rubber plug on those stops; I believe they were not reproduced but I used something similar (somewhat too small). As it was the first 4-door hardtop on those C bodies, there was probably a lack of experience from the manufacturer.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
I looked thru all of my manual supplements and serviceman issues and see no mention of a procedure revision. I'll bet the new weatherstrip is the issue. If it's a 1/16 thicker than the factory one, thats your issue. Question is, how to compensate for that? It could just be to leave the windows up pinching the weatherstrip for a few weeks. The goal would be to see if you can compress the weatherstrip and it stays compressed.

Another question. Is the original weatherstrip bowdrill cloth wrapped? The bow cloth makes it easier for the glass to slide along it as compared to bare rubber. Bowdrill cloth was mostly found on convertible weatherstripping, Cadillac may have used it in your application because of the exposure to the elements and glass travel. 

One more thing that will help would be to spray DRY type silicone spray on the weatherstrip. This is a non sticky, no smell lubricant that will help the glass slide along. It's still recommended by Ford to this day if you have sticky sunroofs. The weatherstrip will sometimes stick when really hot. The spray solves that issue and it last a long time. 
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz