Author Topic: 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille rear window adjustment problem  (Read 449 times)

Offline carguyblack

Re: 1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille rear window adjustment problem
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
I thought of the silicone idea, too, but didn't want to mask an incorrect adjustment. Is that Bowdrill (?) weatherstripping window divide still manufactured by someone? I bought what Steele offered, thinking that was my only / best option.
My next easiest test (when the weather warms a bit) will be to remove that rubber window divide I had replaced and see that the windows roll up and down freely. Then I'l know for sure that it is the gap/weatherstripping that is my issue.

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 12:48:56 PM »
Usually the vertical seal which slide at the front of the rear window is correct for that application, I never had an issue with that.
The roof rail weatherstrip cannot be covered with the bowdrill; it has an outside lip. Maybe the inner side could be covered, but that would not solve your issue.
I have a vague souvenir that the stop was not catch by the rear window's frame; I did a longer plate to solve the issue.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
My adjuster plate does contact the window catch lip but probably not soon enough. I need the extra depth that the rubber cushion for that adjuster button would allow. I'll try to find a suitable rubber candidate and give that a shot before I disassemble everything again.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
Roger,
"I have a vague souvenir that the stop was not catch by the rear window's frame; I did a longer plate to solve the issue."
Is this the part you are referring to or something else?
By the way, I have 4 new rubber pads coming for these pieces in hopes that they will solve the pinching problem.
Chuck

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »
Yes Chuck, it's that part!

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 07:07:35 AM »
Perfect! Here's hoping. I'll report back soon.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
I got the rubber bumpers for the window stops and installed them today. It was the fix I needed to be able to adjust them down a bit so the window doesn't come up quite so high. It sure doesn't take much of an adjustment in order to effect a change. On one side of the car I also had a dry window mechanism that needed lubrication in a bad way. The symptom felt like a pinch but it was a combination of a tight fit along with a staining motor. With the doors open using the motor it worked fine but when closed it labored. Now it works quite well with the doors closed or open. No difference either way so I think I'm done. That was only a $685 window adjustment since I pay myself!
Thanks everyone for the help along the way,
Chuck