Author Topic: 1956 AC compressor bearing  (Read 250 times)

Offline South_paw

Re: 1956 AC compressor bearing
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »
Nice job on the copper pipe. They do clean up nicely. You guys can forget the transporter option on this forum software. I can't get the permit for it   ;D  We have to settle for this. I pick it up next Tuesday  8)

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Lexi

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
Well good news today. First, my '56 Caddy started right up and so far appears to be running just fine with the freshly rebuilt engine. Put her through some paces to properly run the engine with the break in oil as prescribed. Then I noticed that the AC compressor is running. Looks like the clutch is engaged even though it is not turned on. You may recall that my AC is not operational, though I needed the pulley bearing replaced to keep the unit functional to work with the belts installed in the car. So for now I just want the pulley to be 100% functional, but the AC is NOT expected to be operational. There is no refrigerant or oil in the system. The compressor will eventually be ruined unless the clutch is released. Just need the pulley to free wheel. Looks like it has to come off and be disassembled to see what went wrong. Any thoughts? Clay/Lexi

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »
Well good news today. First, my '56 Caddy started right up and so far appears to be running just fine with the freshly rebuilt engine. Put her through some paces to properly run the engine with the break in oil as prescribed. Then I noticed that the AC compressor is running. Looks like the clutch is engaged even though it is not turned on. You may recall that my AC is not operational, though I needed the pulley bearing replaced to keep the unit functional to work with the belts installed in the car. So for now I just want the pulley to be 100% functional, but the AC is NOT expected to be operational. There is no refrigerant or oil in the system. The compressor will eventually be ruined unless the clutch is released. Just need the pulley to free wheel. Looks like it has to come off and be disassembled to see what went wrong. Any thoughts? Clay/Lexi

Clay,

Not sure if you notice the doc I’ve posted here -> http://midcenturycadillacs.com/index.php?topic=4424.0

I did my re-seal on the one on the car and the spares ones will be next, but no rush on my side.

The only thing I can think of would be the front shims if you only got the pulley off. These would need to be correct so the gap between the clutch and pulley is set correctly.

For the front clearance;

With the clutch out place the shims on the pulley bearing racer, press and rotate the clutch. If you hear/feel the clutch dragging at the pulley add more shims until there is just a slight drag, final add 0.010” to set the correct clearance.

Also,not sure if you have the +12V wire connected to the compressor coil, you can disconnected it and see if that maybe the problem. Remember the coil for the fast idle speed-up control at the carburetor is energized on either "P" or "N" when engine is running and you have the switch at the A/C control "on".  ;)

Good luck..!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:52:38 AM by JAG56Cad »
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:31 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks for the link as I had not seen that. I downloaded the file and will study it. That 12 volt wire if it is the one I am thinking of, was indeed a problem 6 years ago with the previous owner who had it disconnected. So it should not be factor at this time. Thank you Jose for these tips. Clay/Lexi

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 08:00:01 AM »
Clay,

Sorry I made a slight error on my post above on the last statement, corrections made in red.

Since you are or maybe tackling the A/C later electrical side here is a diagram I had to redo to show all the pieces, the Service Manual do not show the idle speed up control.

It is a puzzling setup since the ground for the idle speed-up control coil comes from the starter “hold coil” and through the NSS and thus it only works when the transmission is on “P” or “N”.

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:02:06 AM »
Jose thanks. We are so lucky to have guys like you on this site. Right now I can't afford to fix the AC so I just want it to all be there and look restored, but not be functional. I will keep all posted. I found one of those AC line clamps in my parts. Think my system requires a pair of them, so I will try and make one. Will post picture of this AC clamp later. Looking forward to tackling the AC but it will have to wait. Clay/Lexi