Author Topic: Carburetor Recommendation  (Read 241 times)

Offline Cool Caddy

Carburetor Recommendation
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »
I have  a 1961 Cadillac 390 No AC. I'm done fighting with the forever leaking, lousy running Quadrajet 4GC. Any recommendations on a new carburetor? I've heard that the Edelbrock is closer to the original. Please let me know. Thanks.

Offline Dan Rushin

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 1962 Coupe Deville - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Re: Carburetor Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »
I have a Holley Demon 625 on my '62 Coupe. Overall it has been a great running carburetor. The only issue I have had is fabricating a link to the transmission's TV rod. I am on my second attempt and it only works marginally well. If you have the linkage plate from your original carburetor make sure you keep it so you have a guide to make a substitute for the Demon. I can't comment on the idle increase for the air conditioner as I have not yet gotten around to fixing my A/C.

Offline cadsquatch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:05:28 PM »
I installed an Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke on mine.  I was going from the Carter AFB so the linkage was pretty close.  Has worked very well so far, been about 2 and a half years now
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
1957 Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan
1947 Fleetwood 60 Special

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
summit racing has new direct fit quads for better performance

Offline Cool Caddy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 01:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the help. I called Summit up and they didn't have a quadrajet like mine. We then talked about changing to something different and he recommended that I send my existing carb into Uremco to be rebuilt. That was a pretty strong recommendation from a guy who's supposed to sell me whatever. SO ....one last time I'm going to open up the wallet and see if they can rebuild it. If that doesn't work, then it's back to Summit.

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
i think you will be happier with your original carb restored as it has exactly what the engine needs as gm spent lots of time sorting it all out,has correct jetting etc

for any stock engine ,I find the carb it came with ,when working properly is the absolute best( well except fords variable venturi, Chrysler leanburn, and a few others!)
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)