Author Topic: 1956 Accelerator linkage & bracket need help  (Read 165 times)

Offline Lexi

1956 Accelerator linkage & bracket need help
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
Earlier I posted a thread on whether I had the coil mounting plate and spark plug wire loom holder installed properly on my rebuilt 1956 365 stock V8 engine. At the time the engine was mounted on a stand and not in the car. The engine has since been installed and some issues have come up. For a number of reasons the car is now at a shop (see earlier threads on frame crack and front end repair). So unfortunately the repair of items is mostly out of my control at this time.

Problem 1.../accelerator rod clearance issue?

The garage reported that the spark plug wire holder (pic #1) if mounted as in the photograph, is problematic as the accelerator rod linkage basically sits on top of the wire holder, near where the hole is for the throttle return spring. If the bracket is inverted, then the opposite side of the bracket rubs on a heater hose that comes out of the firewall blister. Not good. I believe the intake manifold is correct, so it's height should not be an issue.

Further, that an examination of the spark plug wire bracket also reveals that it is not perfectly straight, rather there is a slight "step" in it. I found 2 more of these in parts and both have that "step" or "bump", so it appears factory. Mounted as in pic #1 means the "step" makes it sit closer to the throttle linkage. Also, I did find a manufacturing difference, see pictures #2 & #3. One has a semi-circular chunk cut out of it on the coil side, the other does not. Anyone know why and which one was on the 1956 Cadillac? Seeing this cut out area on the bracket is tough as it is partially obscured by the coil, if you are looking at one installed on a car.

Pictures #4 & #5 show how close the accelerator linkage rod is to the spark plug wire bracket. Is it supposed to be this close? If one were to flip the bracket, the "step" would presumably aid in clearing the accelerator rod linage a bit, as it would be marginally lying a little lower. In picture #1 you can actually see this "step" or "bump" as the blue coloring is darker there due to less light reflecting. Flipping it however, means that on the coil side the spark plug loom holder part of the bracket is interfered with by a heater hose coming out of the firewall.

Problem #2...accelerator rod, straight or with a slight bend?

The accelerator linkage has what I think is a slight factory bend in it, which moves it closer to the carburetor. A spare I have is the same, but the one from my car was apparently straight, (or someone had straightened it). Picture #6 shows the accelerator linkage with the bend, bird's eye view looking down on it. The bend is slight, perhaps  only a 5 -10 degree angle. There is a small bit of paint knocked off where this bend is. The carburetor is a Rochester 4GC. Is this bend correct, or would there be a difference during the production year or even with Carter vs Rochester carburetors? So some might be straight???

These issues are driving me nuts especially as the car is in the shop. Would love to be able to play with it and perhaps answer my own questions. Clay

Edit: Yes, I left my accelerator linkage unit on the firewall blue. It seems that these were zinc plated when new. This one was Cadillac blue from a parts car sitting since the '70s. Not sure who would have painted it a Cadillac correct color back in the day, but perhaps an insurance claim (fire?) resulted in stuff being painted during a repair early in the life of the car I took this part from.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 04:28:11 AM by Lexi »

Offline Roger Zimmermann

Re: 1956 Accelerator linkage & bracket need help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:55:28 AM »
From what I'm recalling about my sold '56 de Ville: the rod is bent and it goes UNDER the bracket. If not enough clearance, pull the bracket a tad towards the hood.
The rod to the carb is zinc plated.
Unfortunately, I have no picture and as the car is gone, cannot do some. I have nice pictures from my '56 Biarritz, but they will not help you as the car has te dual carbs set-up.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 06:08:48 AM »
I Agree with Roger. The bracket goes over the rod and yes there should be a slight bend to the rod. Pic attached is from my old 56 Fleetwood.

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline South_paw

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
Why am i thinking that the bracket doesnt mount directly to the manifold? I think it mounts to the carb stud. Doing so would get you above the rod. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Lexi

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »
Roger/Lou thanks. That makes sense. I went out with a bracket and tried it on one of my parts engines. Admittedly I did not dry fit a spare carb to the manifold. Just eyeballing it, the bracket looks like it won't fit or work on a carb stud for a number of reasons. This is another item, as well as the coil mounting plate, which are not covered in the Authenticity Manual, (unless I missed it). Hopefully members such as Mike Josephic keep track of these matters when they arise, for future Manual revisions. Would like to see any additional photos if you find them. Down the road someone will ask some of these questions again and they will be able to consult our posts and pictures. Think I will remove the paint from that accelerator rod, (another item that could be included in the Manual). Clay/Lexi

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
Oh I got pages of revisions for the authenticity manual. We tried putting together a group to get after the revision but it doesn't look like it will happen. No time.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
Why am i thinking that the bracket doesnt mount directly to the manifold? I think it mounts to the carb stud. Doing so would get you above the rod. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Lou,

As far as I know the spark plug wires holder mounts on the same location as the coil bracket top of the manifold, the screw hole facing the carb same as your and Clay's picture.

Also the holder has a slight upward bent on the left side as you and Roger noted to clear the throttle rod.  ;)
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Lexi

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:59:09 PM »
Well that does it, 3 "Cadillac Gods" chimed in; Roger, Lou and Jose, so I don't care even if General Motors were to disagree! There is a slight bend in the rod as I thought and it travels under the bracket which up until now that aspect I was not sure of. Anyone know why there is that semi-circular cut in some of them? They must have used these brackets for more than one model year & perhaps the cut was introduced to better clear the coil bracket? Clay/Lexi