Author Topic: Flooded batteries  (Read 46 times)

Offline Lexi

Flooded batteries
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
My 1956 shop manual says to charge the flooded cell type battery monthly if not in use, or should the specific gravity reading fall below 1.240. That was then. If we are still using flooded cell type batteries could we expect them to last longer if left dormant? That is, are they made better today or as I suspect is the technology the same so the same rules would still apply if using that old school type of battery? Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:26:46 AM by Lexi »

Offline Lexi

Re: Flooded batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »
Think I answered my own question by checking on notes i took a couple of years back. Old age and memory thing  :-[ I was advised that there is a difference between old and new flooded cell lead acid automotive batteries. The old ones contained stiff lead antimony plates while the new ones are calcium lead plates. They have lower gassing properties and are said to last longer when not in service; perhaps up to 6 months without a charge. I was advised that it was recommended to charge after 3 months to be safe. The specific gravity reading for the 3EE I installed was rated for 1.265 - 1.280 in this climate. So the old shop manual rules are a little out of date with respect to storage when car not driven for extended periods. Clay/Lexi