Author Topic: '57 Rear Brake Drum getting Hot  (Read 192 times)

Offline jfaurschou

'57 Rear Brake Drum getting Hot
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
So, I've replaced the brakes about three months ago, new cylinders, hoses, all four wheels. Went for a drive yesterday and the passenger rear drum was very hot after we stopped for dinner. Feeling the hubcap, Much hotter than I would expect it to be, and way hotter than the other three wheels/hubcaps. Jacked it up to see if the brakes are sticking, and the wheel wasn't locked up, and seemed to spin with the normal amount of resistance for a properly adjustment drum. Don't hear any noise, and don't feel any sluggish/tightened grip when accelerating. Could the wheel bearing be going bad? trying to figure what could be the cause as it seems it's only that wheel heating up. Then adds a questions what would be the normal temp to expect your hubcap,drum to get after a normal drive? All my other vehicles are all Disc, so trying to get a general consensus.
1957 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560sl

Offline South_paw

Re: '57 Rear Brake Drum getting Hot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
I would suspect the wheel bearing as well.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Online JAG56Cad

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
Second what Lou posted..!

Since the hub is the one getting real hot is a good indicator the bearing may be the problem. Since the rear wheel bearings do get lubrication from the differential oil interesting to find why only one side.   ???

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline jfaurschou

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
Thanks, I pulled the wheels tonight and started inspecting it, don't see anything out of the ordinary, but I decided I'm just going to replace the wheel bearings and seals on the rear... Did the front last month, so I guess the back was feeling left out. Never done a rear wheel bearing before.. I glanced over the procedure in the manual, any pointers or tips that may be helpful not considered in the manual? Just ordered the bearings and seals....
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560sl

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 01:44:07 AM »
If your car still has the original bearings, they are lubed by the differential oil. The Barings you will get are sealed on both sides. There is just one way to install them: The visible spring is going towards the differential. I had a long "fight" with Terrill Machine for the correct installation. It appears that a change was done in 1960 or later with a new design for he bearing and the indication in the older manuals is no more correct.
If you don't have a press, don't try to replace the bearings yourself.

Offline jfaurschou

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:22 PM »
Thanks Roger, I pulled the axle this morning and it appears they are the original Bearings, not surprised, when I replaced the front ones last month they were all original. Thanks for the tip on the new bearings, I don't have a press, but have access to one.. once the new ones come in will be taking them to my buddy's shop to press on. Going to replace the Dif Oil while I'm at it, sounds like you have to siphon it out of the fill hole and re fill from what I've seen in the manual and read elsewhere. Any one ever done that?
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560sl