Author Topic: Kanter Front End Kits  (Read 269 times)

Offline SKYGOD1962

Kanter Front End Kits
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »
*Newbie*

Hello all.

Anyone have any luck with Kanter? Their front end kits seem to be very complete and competitive price wise (especially with a current pricing promo).  Just wondering how they stack up quality and fit wise against Rareparts along with their brake, rear suspension and steering among other parts.

I have a 62 Eldorado that i'm starting some work on.  my first experience with a classic.  I'm starting to learn that not all parts are created equal.

I'll gladly accept any feedback or advice,

thanks in advance.

AJ

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Kanter Front End Kits
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:19:33 PM »
be carefull buying parts from kanter ,,kits do not always have everything to build  your front end ..then you have to find the missing parts ..some times the parts do not always fit and are not quality ...it may be better to buy what you need from a parts suppler ...not from advance oriellys or others of the same,  private parts supplyers seem to have better parts .make a list of what you need and start there

Offline SKYGOD1962

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah I spoke to a local independent parts supplier today and got the same advice.  Told me to stay away from Kanter for those reasons.  Suggested Moog and/or Rare.  Told me to make a list and come and sit at the parts counter with them.  Probably the best idea. 

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:10 AM »
I bought and fitted the full front end kit from Kanter to my 54 CDV and the parts fitted beautifully and I have not had any trouble with it, the car steers and drives perfectly. I did buy these parts from them 15 or so years ago though.

Offline G Pennington

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:43:13 AM »
Bought a front end kit from Kanter about 8 yrs ago for the '53. They sent the wrong king pins.  Returned them and they sent correct ones without a hassle.  Bushings installed in knuckle OK, but pins would not go into the bushings.  Had to use a brake cylinder hone to enlarge bushing ID to fit.  No other problems.
Gary Pennington
1953 series 62 convertible

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 04:47:06 AM »
Gary, it was years ago I did the front end on my car, but aren't you meant to ream the bushes after fitting anyway? I could be wrong...

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
I bought from rare for both my front and rear.  The fit was fine. But I have never driven the car.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline G Pennington

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
Maybe reaming the bushings is normal.  Just wasn't something I was expecting to do.  I've  bought other stuff from Kanter with no problems.
Gary Pennington
1953 series 62 convertible

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:16 AM »
as with anything else, china parts are a huge issue
it is worth paying more for quality NOS parts instead of questionable china junk

always check country of origin on parts !
I always try to find moog or other brand name parts not made in china
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline SKYGOD1962

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:52 AM »
Thanks guys for all the advice.  Iíve learned a lot in the last few days.  In talking to a few independent parts suppliers Iím hearing Moog and Rare are the way to go quality wise.  Itís hard to avoid China made parts these days but they certainly see it as a big problem. 

In terms of Kanter it sounds like they were quite a company manufacturing parts back in the day but like most they fell victim to outsourcing manufacturing overseas and quality suffered.  Same old story.

Thanks again everyone