Author Topic: Interior Replacement  (Read 560 times)

Offline FINCADI

Re: Interior Replacement
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »
Carl,
Was the original foam in your seat cover in individual strips like you are doing? I am just curious as to why you are doing it that way instead of a single piece of foam that is tufted by sewing like they are doing mine. I am not saying one is better than the other, I am just curious how the factory did it back in the day. :)

Well after a quick Google search I found a tutorial on Tuck and Roll and see that the individual strips of foam are how it is done.  I am now curious as to why my upholsterer is doing it differently. - Doug

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »
Only the Fleetwood and eldorado had the hidden tuck and fold stitches. Maybe yours was a different style.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
The original seat of this style had what is called channel foam. The foam is attached to the fabric backing and has channels every 2.5 inches.  I have searched but this size channel foam is no longer available. So I have to make my own with foam strips. My original strips I had cut at .5 inches thick by 2.5wide. I think that is a little too big for this sewing. I will have more cut at 3/8 thick by 2 3/8 wide.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
This is the cheater way of making the blind pleats. The material is folded and seen through a solid piece of foam. It is easier to see but it makes for a loose pleat. 
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 07:49:21 PM »
This auto correct does not like the words sew or sewn
Charles Kettering

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »
Only the Fleetwood and eldorado had the hidden tuck and fold stitches. Maybe yours was a different style.

I am going to check the old seat covers when I return to the upholsterers the end of next week. I am curious if my Coupe deVille had the hidden tuck and fold stitches with individual foam strips or used a different method. Thanks for all of the great information.   

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
Looking great so far Doug!!! I know you going to the "20" GN?! Can't wait to see your caddy again, we just love that color it's in!!

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »
Thanks, Joe, I love the color too! I am looking forward  to catching up with you at the 2020 GN!

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 01:32:53 PM »
I took some more photos of the progress today. Unfortunately the lighting was not very good so the colors are a little distorted in the photos. The first photo shows one of the newly completed rear quarter l upper trim panels after installation. The next three photos show the finished skins that will be installed on the rear quarter panel armrest areas. The last two show the progress on one of the seat cushion covers. I did check the old cover and indeed  channel foam was used originally. The upholsterer said he tried a number of methods to duplicate the channel foam and ended up doing what is reflected in the photos. (Cloth, foam pad, heavy backing material). This method is maybe not as ideal as if channel foam was available,  but the end result looks pretty good in my opinion.

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »
When the upholsterer took the padded seat back panels off of each of the front seats the material underneath had what seems to be intentional slice marks.  Would this have been done for ventilation or for some other reason? Should the upholsterer duplicate this (it is hidden by the padded panel once seat is together)?  -Doug
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:35:17 AM by FINCADI »