Author Topic: Water in the trunklid  (Read 85 times)

Offline Cadillacfreak

Water in the trunklid
« on: September 08, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »
Hello fellow Cadillacfriends,

Since a few days I have this problem with my trunk lid. When I open it, I get a full spalsh of water in my neck. It has beel raining seriously the last few day but I never had this water problem. What's the cause of this? Where does the water come from and how can I solve this?

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Water in the trunklid
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »
What model Cadillac?  If it has trim or name tags or logo badge on the lid //sometimes the seals dry out and water seeps in from there ////Remove the trim parts and use strip caulk too reseal the parts .Be care full not to break the studs when removing die cast trim .  If it has stainless trim at the lip //care full not to twist or break the clips ,,however they can be replaced not like die cast .On 62s water would come in from the lower lip trim and also the key lock cyl seal.  Strip caulk is 1/4 " x 12" long strips and comes in a blue box.. can be purchased at any auto paint supply store  ,,Also check to see if the weather strip is sealing tight when the lid is closed one way is to use some blue black board chalk //color the top of the weather strip close the lid slowly and then open it the chalk will leave a gap ware it has not sealed.....

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
Many thanks, Rare Eldorado, good tips and I'll start with the seals of the emblems and lock.

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:45:40 AM »
I've removed both the emblems from my trunk ('62 CDV) and put some new waterresistant kit in all the holes and under the emblems. It seems that this did the trick, no water in my trunk anymore, so many thanks!