Author Topic: Period Picture  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Lexi

Re: Period Picture
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »
Parked in front of what appears to be a 1963 Pontiac, sits a 1961 Caddy in this period photo. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 12:26:54 AM »
This looks like it might have come from a period sales brochure or factory photo. Classy Lady. Classy car. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 12:27:52 AM »
Looks like a period shot of a family outing in a 1962 60 Special. Clay/Lexi

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »
Love the pics Lexi, thanks for posting them, catch ya on the big site

Offline Lexi

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
6Caddy2, thank you and for sure I will see you there. I am already a contributor to that site, but not nearly to the extent here. I usually save the Mid-Century stuff for this site that Lou runs. He was good enough to run it for years so most of my time was spent here in support of him and the members. Maybe I will start some threads at the CLC Forum to keep this stuff rolling. Maybe its just me, but it seems more difficult to find period shots of early '60s Caddies then the '50s stuff. But I like a challenge. As a result I always find it thrilling to find a period photo or related item for Skegs. Anyhow, others have said that it would be a shame to lose all the info. So hopefully we can keep it alive in some form. Good for the old guys as well as the newbies just starting out. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
Check out this period shot taken at the Woodstock rock extravaganza in 1969. Looks like a '62 Caddy. Nice back story as well. Clay/Lexi

Offline Lexi

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
Here is a possible '62 Cadillac hearse/ambulance, apparently with country musician David Allan Coe. I don't recognize the rear lights. They are probably courtesy of the coach builder. Possible "Olympic" body style coach by Miller Meteor due to the (presumed but largely out of sight) "Prestige Panel" in front of the rear wrap around windows. Clay/Lexi

Offline Perk2

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Pretty sure that's a '61 from the round rear lights
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline Lexi

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
Yes Perk2, I totally agree that would normally be a dead give away. Those round singular lights do look like a portion of the 1961 rear light assembly, (though without the tell tale horizontal chrome bezel surrounds that make that year so unique). That complicates things because as a funeral car we have no assurances that the coach builder used up to date factory design elements in their new models. Sometimes coach builders would indeed save some previous year's design elements as well as incorporating their own trim which complicates dating a vehicle from an old, sub-standard photo such as this one. Saving some past design elements was done I presume to save money on what are extremely low production vehicles. Even GM Cadillac Division did it from time to time. The best example being the 1965 Cadillac Limo which retained basically the entire 1964 body style. Again, for a low production vehicle. Compare also the 1947 and 1948 Limos. Not much changed. If it is an Olympic bodied funeral style coach, then I believe that was a 1962 design from Miller Meteor. But is it possible that it had it's genesis in late 1961? Who knows. So unless I see other photos of this car I am not 100% sure what year it is. So yep, those round rear lights are probably '61, but what year of funeral coach are they mounted on? Not 100% sure. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:08:19 PM by Lexi »