Author Topic: Bias ply or radial?  (Read 69 times)

Offline MDCADDY

Bias ply or radial?
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
Changing my tires do to age. Have radials now. 1962 coupe.  Radials or bias ply? Opinions? Notice with the radials car wants to wallow on curves at higher speeds. Thanks

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Re: Bias ply or radial?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 07:35:30 PM »
I think most people will say radials. I stick with bias ply on my 54. They look much better but they are unforgiving of worn steering and suspension. My steering and suspension is great and my car drives beautifully. Phil

Offline Lexi

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »
I'm with Phil on this one. Some might say that radials will gloss over some front end issues as they track better. Tracking problems can be more apparent when riding on bias ply tires. If so, you may have additional issues should you have bias plys installed, and those should be rectified. One bonus of bias ply tires I believe is that some of them come in a higher profile than radials. That I like as I prefer to sit "higher" as would be the case with such tires. They also do look different and I can usually spot them right away. If you are driving your car like most of us, (limited pleasure driving), and prefer originality and to feel the car the way it did when new, stick with bias ply. If those are not issues then consider radials. Clay/Lexi

Offline MDCADDY

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:52:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. Only 3000 miles on my tires but 13 years old. Not worth the chance to keep driving on them. Recommend any wide white radial outlet or make?

Offline Lexi

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
I agree that they should be replaced. Perhaps a member with more recent experience with radial tires for your car can comment Clay/Lexi