Author Topic: '55 Horn question  (Read 1934 times)

Offline craig-o

'55 Horn question
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
A few years back after I pulled my car out of about 6 years of storage, the first time I pushed the horn ring, the horns wouldn't stop sounding.  I disconnected the horn relay and figured I'd get around to fixing it someday.

Turn the clock forward 3 years, and someday arrived. I ordered a new horn relay, and went to install it today.  The same thing happened!  I installed the new relay, made the connections, and everything was fine until I pushed the horn ring, and again, the horns won't stop sounding!

I checked the connections against the wiring diagram in the manual, and everything is connected correctly.  So I got out the multimeter and discovered that the tan wire - the one from the horn button - is continuous with GND. So, the relay is not the problem.  I even removed the cover from the original relay, and can see that when I connect the tan wire, the electromagnet makes the connection, and the horns sound until I remove it.  So, I either have an errant ground between the horn relay and the horn button, or I have a problem with the horn button.

I have traced and visually inspected the wire bundle(s) that contain this tan wire and can't find any obvious breaks. So I turned my attention to the horn button.  According to the shop manual, I should "Depress horn button, turn in either direction until locking ears are released and remove button." When I attempt this operation, the clear plastic horn button with the gold crest rotates just a few degrees in either direction, but I can never seem to release these locking ears. Since this operation must be done to remove the steering wheel, I would think this would be pretty routine.  Any wisdom, tips or tricks on how to remove the horn button?
Craig R
San Jose, CA
1955 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140MC OTS

Offline South_paw

Re: '55 Horn question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
You will need to remove the horn ring as a complete unit. From the backside of the wheel there are two allen set screws that hold the horn ring in place. The neutral safety switch on the column also contains the horn contact. It is most likely that your problem will be at the NSS area.   
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Lexi

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:03:31 PM »
On my '56 Caddy there is a wire with an insulator washer dead center in the steering column. I recall that it is visible once the horn ring is off. I can't remember what it does but I believe it is part of the horn circuit. I mention this as someone may have removed the steering wheel in the past and damaged that insulator with a steering wheel puller tool, (by crushing the insulator washer). So this is something else for you to check. If damaged perhaps re-insulate it with some heat shrink tubing. As Lou said look for the allen screws to remove the horn ring. It is best to use a good, narrow beam flashlight to see them, but they are there. Clay/Lexi

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »
You will need to remove the horn ring as a complete unit. From the backside of the wheel there are two allen set screws that hold the horn ring in place. The neutral safety switch on the column also contains the horn contact. It is most likely that your problem will be at the NSS area.
Well, Lou, 1955 cars are not the same than 1956. The horn ring is not attached with allen screws on the 1955 cars but, as described, the horn button must be removed first. I believe it is spring loaded, you have probable to push it before you attempt to turn it.